• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The cure for cabin fever is a . . . CAMERA! (images added 3-31)

I'm pretty tired of winter. And winter's not over. Up to a foot of snow coming tomorrow night through Wednesday, with April supposed to be colder than average.

I woke up and the sun rose. Yes, the SUN! Had to go worship it. gringrin

These are nothing particularly special. Just had to get out of the house, and thought I'd share. All with the Canon 30D and Canon 200 f2.8L/1.4 TC, except for the pic of the otter slide/wolf tracks/deer tracks, which was with the Canon 10-22.

3396185439_7b10fd07c0_o.jpg

3396185427_a783e933a3_o.jpg

3396185459_97266202dd_o.jpg

3396185445_6e1171edec_o.jpg

3396185471_6cf100b9cc_o.jpg

3396185461_4650f9509d_o.jpg

3396998630_90d4082303_o.jpg

3396998624_d3e50051cb_o.jpg

I lo-o-o-ove the nuthatch. Glad to see I am not the only one that has to stop to take photos of tracks. It was turkey tracks for me this week. Three for one, though! Bonus. Is that seriously an otter slide?? How would one possible know that?

Birdsong, yup, it's an otter slide. They slide on snow almost as much as they run on it. You know it's an otter slide because you see them do it and learn to recognize the sign. Hey, I'd rather take pictures of the animals themselves, but sometimes ya just gotta take what ya get.

But how about I throw in pics of the three animals in question? gringrin

Note the cataract in the old buck's right eye. This was shot two weeks after deer gun season, and this fella looks like he had a hard rut. He came in 30 yards downwind of me and knew I was there the whole time. Didn't seem to care at all.

I spent over an hour seven feet from this otter two years ago. It seemed to enjoy my presence. I'd have stayed longer but I'd broken through the creek and was actually standing with my feet on the creek bottom in two feet of water. It was below zero and windy. frownfrown

And of course the wolf is from my outing with finnbay up the Echo Trail last October. He came within 20 feet before I told him to stop and go into the woods, which he did, and then he posed perfectly in the trees. smilesmile

Sometimes the animals just let you have your way with them.

3398509697_992b21059d_o.jpg

3398484121_d33e839e00_o.jpg

3398484123_fa11e41276_o.jpg

Thanks, Shawn. That was shot at iso1600 and 1/30 sec (it was after sunset) on Ai servo with the 30D and a 300 f2.8L IS off a monopod. There was enough contrast on the face that the AF didn't have any probs, even when that dark out.

I was expecting the series not to turn out, but about 20 percent of them were sharp.

Ken (finnbay) and I drove away and just kept shaking our heads the whole way home because we still couldn't believe what just happened, even though we had the pics to prove it. One of the prettiest wolves we've ever seen, and since it was late October, the fur was perfect.

If I recall, Ken tells a story about a wolf that stood up and put its front paws on the door of his car and looked in at him once between Ely and Babbitt. Moments like that make a feller praise the merits of safety glass. shockedshocked

Here's the same wolf when he stopped in the woods. Same settings except AF was on one shot and SS was 1/20.

2976756500_3df994f669_o.jpg

If I recall, Ken tells a story about a wolf that stood up and put its front paws on the door of his car and looked in at him once between Ely and Babbitt.

That's about it - because I was leaning towards the middle of the seat we had about 2 feet between us! I had seen him go off the road ahead of me and when I stopped to look he came back out, around the front of my truck and right up to the driver's side window (rolled half down) with his nose in the air and sniffing at me. I must have had venison polish in the lunchbox that day! That finally spooked me and I took off! Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me that day. frown

the last pict in your first set is awesome steve!.. love that one.. may have to add that one to my list of ones I will own someday.. Still saving up for Ghost Trees. Every now and then you ought to post that one up for me so I can dream about it a little more.

I don't remember "Ghost Trees" but I do remember the one where you had to lay down in the bog to get a shot from under a flower with the trees coming up around it. That is one of my favs of all time, just wish I could remember the name of it.