• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hog-A-Thon Recap...

Our trip started with a strong bite on Thursday afternoon and carried over into Friday and so going into Saturday's Hog-A-Thon, hopes were high. Unfortunately, Saturday proved to be a start of an unexplainable slow down to the bite, at least for our group. We focused on 24 - 27' water adjacent to deeper channel and/or trough areas near sharper shoreline breaks in unchartered water. I swear we had over a mile of lake to ourselves and like I explained early on here, the bite was "steady eddy" with your typical dandy Lake Gogebic perch being slid through the hole. Saturday was tough, with only ~15 fish coming to the pail and this morning, we had to scratch and claw for a hand full.

Some things to note:

1. If you weren't catching suckers and walleyes, you weren't going to catch perch.

2. The males, which are HUGE by the way, were very territorial meaning they were quick to get to the bait and thus offering less opportunity for the more sluggish females to get a chance at an offering of mayfly larvae.

3. Often times, we'd have 3 - 6 fish under us at once but only one would respond. Now, that's frustrating when most fish are just looking.

4. Color didn't matter.

Yet another great trip to Lake Gogebic. The hospitality and scenery are equally as great as the fishing. Our group had a blast pre-fishing and fishing our first ever but probably not last Hog-A-Thon.

You know, it's a cryin' shame a camera can not do justice to the size of these fish.

Males! (Left H.) = 13.25", (Right H.) = 12.50"

up002.jpg

Smig under 2#

up001.jpg

I fished my first H.A.T over the weekend too. Had a great time. We got 22 perch Sat. with the biggest being 1# 13oz. Those perch are unreal!! Also picked up a bonus 29.5" walleye on my perch rod. Awesome fish. Im kinda new to this so im not sure how to post the pics. Any help is much appreciated.

Buschwacked,

First of all welcome to FM, you will find a ton of info on this site that is valuable. I tell you what a 29.5 inch eye on Gogebic, is HUGE. You hear of a lot more 2.5lb perch than 29+ inch walleye coming out of that lake.

Send them to me and I will post them for you.

PK

lotus7171atgmaildotcom

Thanks alot. I've been learning tons from this site over the years. Great site! Just decided to join in the fun. Steve at the sports shop in Bergland said it was the biggest he heard of all winter too. I will send you the pic.

We had a normal day on Sat not great but not bad. Our group of 4ish managed about 30-40 perch, nothing big. I caught one that was pushing 1.10lb it looked bigger but it was only 12 inches, but that was my biggest. I did not see a fish on my LX-5 after 12:30, that was a long 4+ hours to end the tourney.

I want to personally thanks everybody who attended. Hope to see you all again next year. We will be having a meeting with the Local DNR to drop the limit down to 10 perch/day vs. 25. If you are interested in writing a letter let me know, I can make sure you thoughts are heard. I don't want to ruin a World Class Perch fishery that sits in my backyard.

Actually the limit is 50/day. Anyway, I think that the idea of dropping the limit is necessary. 50 is way too high. Perhaps a slot should be in place as well? Some people will say that you "kill" the fish due to the air bladder exploding once the fish is reeled up from the "deep" water. Although this happens, it doesn't happen EVERY time. I released 20+ perch on Friday and not ONE popped its air sack. Like PK said, any ideas or input can be very useful in this venture!

How soon do we need to get this in by?? I will send you something Greg in a day or two.

Greg, I know I will be back next year for the hog a thon, I am not driving all night again thought. frown

Great to talk to you vook again. it was a tough bite, but that helps the fish also.

My mistake, I didn't realize it was 50. Vook brought this up to me about dropping it to 10 and I think it is a great idea. I just hope the DNR do also. No set date on the meeting yet Ken, but if you can get them in withing the next couple weeks it would be great.

Thanks,

PK

I definitely agree with perchking about lowering the limit. Actually suprised it is still 50. This place is a trophy fishery, not a numbers fishery. Taking out too many of those big females can do way too much harm to an incredible resource? I could also see some sort of a slot with 1 or 2 fish allowed over 13".

Perchking, did you get the picture i sent?

Good luck at the meeting to get the numbers dropped.

It was nice to see you again too Ken. As for the "petition" to lower the limit, etc., I think contacting Gus may be everyone's best bet at this time. I know he is the one who is trying to see what steps need to be taken to get the wheels turning...

Hog-A-Thon sounded like a great time guys!!

I tell you what... get ahead of those regulations if you can! Gogebic is obviously a special perch fishery and there is no reason for a 50 fish limit other than an all you can eat advertisement for meat hunters.

In Minnesota, anglers come out of the woodwork for a hot bite on a trophy fish lake, even if it requires a 5-7 hour drive to get there. Lake of the Woods and Upper Red are prime examples of pack the truck and lets go! SD Glacial Lakes and Devils Lake, ND are a few more.

Git-R-Done! wink

Just a suggestion- Maybe one of you admin fella's should start a new string w/a title reflective of the new subject at hand? Thanks!

Who are they? Ha!

Brandon, I'm bummed we didn't get to meet. I was probably feeding my face or helping the bartender make change.

Nice fish all. Always good to hear that it was a fun time first and foremost. Sounds like it was tough sledding for most during the contest. Minnesotans would love to catch 1 pound fish, Gogebic Yoopers are disappointed!

Gogebic is really a special place that knows no rival.

I can't wait to go back up there.

*****edit note: I started a new thread on Gogebic perch daily bag limits. Got some information on the lake back in February that might be of interest to those interested in a limit change.

This thread seems to have morphed into a discussion on limits. Vooks suggestion to start a new thread for that subject makes sense.

Back to the Hog-A-Thon. I was up with my son and had a great time. We fished from Thursday until 2:00 Sunday. Hit some nice pockets of perch. The spot we settled on for Saturday started out great. We iced 7 nice perch by 9:00. Nothing big enough to win but the outlook was great. By 11:00 it just shut off. It was a long afternoon but the anticipation of the possible 2 pounder coming in keeps you going.

Sunday morning we went out and the bite where we were was gone. Our wigglers had done run out of wiggle and the wind was howling. I was ready to pack up but my son wanted to try one more spot. We went to an area I had not tried and we landed on an active, aggressive bite. I could not believe the difference in these fish. We could actually jig them up and they would aggressively chase and bite. I sat in the X2 with my son and we spent 3 hours catching 1 to 1.5 pounders together. Kept 12 to bring home. We left with the fish still biting which was hard but what a great way to end another great trip to Gogebic. Left a 1 lb 14.5 oz with Gus to mount.

This lake does not give her 2 pounders up easily but I know there is one in there with my name on it. We will definately be back.

Thanks again Greg for your help in introducing us to this magical place.

Thanks everyone. She's still there waiting for someone else to catch her again. I consider myself very lucky to have got it on such light gear. I still cant believe a walleye that big would hit a wiggler. I may have been doing this all wrong all these years. smile