• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fertilizing and over seeding.

fishindon

Previously, like 2 years ago, used a lawn specialty company for lawn care. After having them basically destroy my lawn, decided to do it myself as I now have the time (retired).

I have two concerns. My lawn has started coming back quite nicely, however there are some bare spots that need work. Mainly under two maple trees. What is the best way to go about growing grass under the trees? And two, what is the best fertilizer to use on the entire lawn?

I live in New Ulm.

The best fertilizer will be one that's recommended by what a soil test will determine you need.

There's a sticky at the top of the Lawn and Garden forum on ways to get a soil test, and from there you can check the extension service on ways to correct your pH levels to the most conducive for turf.

After that, I would personally recommend something that's going to get you between 3/4 and 1 lb of Nitrogen per 1000 sq ft, and a higher Potassium / Potash (3rd number) which will stimulate root growth.

Unless you're trying to establish a completely new lawn, you're going to want to stay away from anything with a number other than zero for the Phosphorus (2nd number).

As for the Maple trees, if they're mature, or even if they're not that mature, there's a good chance that there's just too much shade.

You can do 1 of 2 things. Either thin out the branches in the Maple trees to allow more sunlight through and switch those areas of grass over to a shade mix fescue, OR find some cover plants that like shade (typical Hosta, Quetico can probably fill you in on others) and just put mulch over the area and reduce your maintenance area.

Not a problem.

If you do send out for some samples, you'll want to take some from those bare spots under the trees, as well as the areas that are doing good, to see what the difference is, if any in the soil.

If the soil samples come back close to being identical, then you're probably looking at there's just too much shade to support grass under those trees.