Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
AaronM

Tent camping list

For those you that tent camp, what types of things do you bring with? Looking to get a camping kit together and looking for imput. I do pack and portage places, so weight is a concern. Thanks for any help!

WHen I'm thinking portage trip or backpacking...

Tent (incl. ground cloth), sleeping bag, sleeping pad-~8lbs total

MSR stove, 2 fuel bottles, 1L and 2L pots, spice kit with folding utensils, iodine tabs if needed and alcohol fuel tabs if needed.

A plate, cup/bowl and poly silverware tied together. Coffee press.

Matches, knife, compass, whistle (holds more matches and space blanket), water filter and 2 water bottles. Toilet paper, garbage bag, first aid kit.

I use a base camp gravity filter so we have one large platypus bag for collecting filtered water.

The rest is clothes and food. I'm sure I missed some things.

Fishing gear, rope, folding saw, axe (yes, I know, not needed but I like to use them), camera, monocular, bird book, plant book, deck of cards when I'm with my daughter, headlamp, battery lantern when my daughter is with, enough toilet paper to wipe out an army and pretty much what is listed by others already. This stuff really does add up in weight so I've resigned myself to not single portage. Some people might look at my list and think it's too much while others will ask where's the chairs and tables? It's a matter of priorities. My list changes every year. Somethings become more important, others less so. It also depends who I'm camping with.

I do have rope and a folding saw in my kit. Bug dope and sunscreen are in their too. I like to single portage. My wife and I really don't like to hike that much and if you bring it you have to carry it and if you bring it you better use it or it won't get brought again. If you use it than that means it has to be unpacked and packed up so that adds time and effort too.

I know things will be different when we base camp or RV, but for out portage trips we like to be very streamlined.