• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

YYYEESSSS!!!!! trailer lights update

Ryan_V

Question

after much agonizing about my new trailer and it's lights that were broken and didn't work, I had decided to have it professionally done to make sure it's done right. Well, I'm sure you'll imagine, the more I thought about it, the more I thought..."maybe I'll give it a try". I bought a kit and redid everything on the trailer myself!! it's an aluma trailer, so everything is in the frame. after a little elbow grease, some minor bleeding, and some considerable swearing, i now have a nice trailer with lights that actually work!!! pretty proud of myself!! once I got the first side done, the rest was cake!!! another line to add to my resume!!

15 answers to this question

how much does it cost to get trailer lights done professionally?

why get it professionally done when its so easy? if you get a kit and take your time you will end up with something thats just as good as a so called "professional" would do it.

well, if I hadn't done it myself, I had a fellow fm'er that was going to help me for a case of beer, a very good deal.

I had called a guy I know that does small engines. he quoted me $150, I think that included the lights and all. I also checked an electric motor rebuilder that outfits our company vehicles with all the radios/electronics, and he quoted me about 3 hours labor at $65/hr. I bought the kit for $30 and put it in myself. I took my time and had a couple hours into it, but I think I did a "professional" job that I should have not problems with at all. if anyone needs help with something like this, I'd be more than happy to help.

Congrats!!

I was in the same boat a couple years ago, the whole thing needed rewiring. I decided to tackle it myself and was very proud when it all worked.

I especially like knowing how the whole system works. If something goes wrong, I'll probably be able to fix it myself, since I know how it is put together.

Feels good to learn something new.

Well done!

Ata boy!

Do yourself a long term favor. Get a can of "Liquid Electrical Tape" and coat all connections with it and also cover cover ground connections. It shrinks up like shrink tape and makes connections water tight and reduces corrosion.

If there conventional bulbs hit all the sockets with a little di-electric grease to keep them from corroding as well!

A Very good point and it may save you a few stitch's in your fingers down the line. Removing corroded burnt out bulbs are notorious for nasty cuts on frustrated fingers. The dialectic grease insures a proper contact and lessens the chance they will seize up and cause this risk.

Adding the grease to the primary trailer connection coupler is wise too, for the same reasons.

Good tip!