• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Scouting Trip

Borch

Well it's getting close enough to first season that I ventured out to a few properties I hunt. Last night I saw a group of 15 hens, jakes and toms working a field. This afternoon it didn't take long to come acrossed some encourging sign with fresh scratcing in the leaves and tracks paired with strut marks in the soft soil on a nearby field road. As I continued walking I saw more and more tracks with a mix of hen and gobbler tracks intermingled.

Then I heard a familiar sound... No not a gobble but rather the raspy yelp of an old hen followed by several others. As I peeked around the corner into another field I saw a couple strutters performing for the talkative hens. I backed out and headed to a neighboring property where the scene was repeated in much the same manner.

Just over two weeks until the real show begins. laugh

Looks like we're in transition here in central MN with flocks breaking up. What is everyone else seeing?

Just started scoutin in northwest il along the ole big muddy ,same thing some gobblin early when its nice but would say there still all together doing a lot a struttin and fighting around the girls trying to get that pecking order down .Been finding gobbler breast feathers in strut areas,the ole boys are definatly feelin there oats!Love huntin 1st season weather can be nasty but like you i cant wait !What calls do you like in early season ?I like to set up close and pick out the most vocal hen and mimic her ,they cant stand it when they come in you know whos behind em !

I've just been seeing the larger flocks around Isanti with no strutting - but that's all just drive by's.

We'll probably head south next weekend to get the fix on what's going on down there and touch base with the landowners.

I also checked out my MN metro spot yesterday. It's small, but good. Didn't see/hear any but there's plenty of sign. Bringing a youth here on opening weekend for a mentored hunt.

I turkey hunted the last 2 springs in western WI, but will be sitting out this one. Man am I gonna miss it! At least I have a turkey gobble ringtone on my phone to listen to when I get down about not being out there this spring. I hope you guys have good luck and I'm already looking forward to scouting/hunting reports and pics!

Brian

Thanks Don! Yeah, it was great meeting you and your brother? last spring. Hopefully it will work out next spring. My daughter got a camoed Mossberg 20 gauge pump for Christmas and is wanting a turkey. I told her to at least let me get one first......we'll see how that goes next spring! LOL

Brian

I HAVE A QUESTION I AM SEEKING SOME INPUT ON.I HAVE HUNTED TURKEYS SINCE 1994,BUT THIS YEAR I AM GOING TO USE MY BOW FOR THE FIRST TIME.I AM NOT SURE WHAT TYPE OF BROADHEAD TO USE.I WAS GOING TO USE THE SAME ONES I USE FOR DEER,BUT SOMEONE TOLD ME THE WERE SPECIAL ONES OUT THERE FOR TURKEY HUNTIING.WHAT ADVANTAGES DO THEY HAVE.THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP.

Dan, you can use the same broadheads that you use for deer hunting as long as they have a minimum cutting diameter of 7/8".

You can also use the broadhead by the name of the Gobbler Guillotine.

I will be going out Friday morning to see if I can see anything. I need to find some private property to hunt since I am hunting the "c" season. Hopefully I find what I am looking for a big tom!

Just got back from spending the day down south. We saw 4 birds on our ground - 1 strutter - but heard the flock clucking and purring down the hill below us.

I soft yelped back but didn't get a gobble. They did go quiet for a little bit. We backed out in case they decided to check us out.

My primary goal beside touching bases with current contacts was to make contact with another of their neighbors. We were able to add another 220 acres to the area we can hunt. I'm happy! gringrin

Other birds we saw from the roads were in small groups and the toms were strutting hens and a bachelor group was posing for each other. THE GAME IS ON! cool

I made it out late this morning looking for new grounds just to see if I could find some numbers. Not necessarily looking for new hunting lands. I just needed to see some birds.

I did manage to see one big Tom strutting on a fenceline but didn't see any other birds with him. About 10-15 miles later I finally saw 4 more birds but no strutters. Not the numbers I was looking for, but I still saw birds.

Here's some pictures from around my area. These pictures are from two different groups, one group was all toms and jakes and the other group were with hens. I did see another group to far to take a picture, which had 3 Toms with around 8 hens

DSC_0018.jpgDSC_0033.jpgDSC_0030.jpg

Here's a couple pics of some turkey sign from yesterday's trip. First some signs of strutting.

0404090934.jpg

The second pics is a series of dusting bowls use to knock down mites and such.

0404090902.jpg

Looks like the turkeys on my spots have regrouped witht he weather changes. There's large groups of hens still flocked pretty tight.

I usually find the dust bowls on field edges. There were a pile of them in this area. Probably one of the few spots where the ground was dry enough to create the bowls.