Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Set n Hooks

Custom Fishing Rod

10 posts in this topic

I was just wondering if anyone out there has made their own custom rod from scratch. If so, could you give me a couple tips on how to start out and what I all need. Thanks!

I have made a few custom rods. Exactly what do you mean by scratch?

Glad to see you moved your post here!!!. UpNorth, I think he was referring to a "kit" or building his first custom rod.

Let us know what type of rod you are looking for and your price range. We can help you from there.

It is alot of fun grin

like rodmaker said we just need to know some details and we can help.

It's always getting someone new building their first rod. In fact, my oldest son is building his first rod. 7' 6" St. Croix Avid ML.

I'm think something for medium action, 'bout 6'6" spinning rod. Any help on what i all need for materials would be great.

Well your first rod is going to cost more than usual in that you will have to pick up things that can be reused. If I were you I would do some internet searches as there are a number of useful sites that have step-by-step instructions. Not sure on the rules here but the two commercial sites I frequent (that sell all the necassary gear) are Jann's Net Craft and Mudhole. They even have blank searches - to find the best blank for your needs. Explaining everything you would need here would take a while...

Another option might be to take a rod building class. For the cost of the class, one can learn and also build a pretty nice rod if you need the lessons.

What is your budget??? I can recommend different blanks once I know about how much you can spend.

Harvey

It would be a good idea for him to take a class. If he can find one near him.