• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Salt Striker combo

STEVENS1920

I am gonna get one of the Salt Striker bait feeder spinning combos. This set-up will primarily be for flats,and maybe a back-up for channels. So my question is, should I go with the SBF-45 or jump up to the bigger SBR-65? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

P.S. I know I should jump up to a bait casting set-up, but since I over-spent on ice gear this year, I am stuck within a smaller budget! cry

Personally, I think the 65 is too big of a reel, even for flatheads or sturgeon. The thing weighs more than twice as much as a garcia 6500c3 casting reel, and significantly more than a 7000c3 even! 24+ ounces - ouch. If it's ALWAYS in a rod holder, maybe not a problem. I know that when sturgeon fishing I like holding the rod, so this one wouldn't pull double duty well at all.

I'd try to find a 50 series okuma or striker, even settling on a cheaper avenger before going with the larger size epixor (which is what the salt strikers are modelled after).

I used it on my heavy rod for deep water fishing. Aanderud is right its a big reel that weighs a bit. I dont usually sit and hold it so that doesn't matter. To answer you questions yes if you were to basically for channels it would be a bit to big. Now as a doubling rod in the way of both species I would. There is nothing to big if you like the feel of it.

they have a Penn 320 GT combo the rod is a liitle long but you can beat the price of the reel For 79 or they have a abu agrcia 6600cb on a cabelas king kat rod for 89 i would check out cabelas comobos if you really want a baitcaster you can probabally get one for not much more than you are looking at spending