Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CASTnBLAST

Fox shock rebuild

10 posts in this topic

I've heard shocks should be rebuilt after every season,is this really necessary? I haven't noticed any difference in performance after this year. Heck I remember when shocks were never touched unless obviously shot!

I know the older fox shocks were every 1000 miles for rebiuld, not sure about the new ones. I have fox zero pros in my skid, and they feel like they need to be rebuilt, they have 1600 miles on them. my buddie had his older fox shocks rebuilt this winter, mid season, and he said it was like riding a new snowmobile after being rebuilt. hope this helps, I am getting my skid shocks done. my front end shocks are the floats, so they are ok.

my question, is it best to pull out the shocks, or just bring the sled in with the shocks on the sled, how much more?

what I mean for older fox shocks, I mean shocks at least 5 years old.

Rebuidable gas shocks, new or old, should be rebuilt every 1000-1500 miles in my opinion. How often or how many miles will depend on riding style. The more you beat the sled down rough trails, the more they need to be rebuilt (or at least an oil change and recharge, not necessarily new wipers and seals). Shocks will slowly fade over time and you won't notice the performance loss...UNTIL you have them rebuilt. Ride a rough trail one day...pull the shocks and have them rebuilt and ride the same trail the follwing day and you would be suprized at the difference!

I have alot of experience with this topic. I own a pair of Polaris sled with 4 Fox gas shocks in each sled thats 8 shocks to re-build. I have had $450 dollar re-builds. If your seals are shot, which they usually are, you will be paying for the seal kit and charging about $50 bucks. If any of your shafts are bent or pitted you must replace them because they wipe out your seals and your shocks will lose there charge. I have always removed the shocks myself to save $$$ I like fresh shocks Big difference

who rebuilds shocks? I just got 98 zr500 and it has over 3000 miles on it and was wondering how much it would cost to recharge them.

Ditto, I’m looking for someone to rebuild my shocks to. I’ll pull them out myself BTW.

About $35 per shock plus oil and any parts needed.

I would google Ian at monster performance. He is also a sponsor of the dootalk webite so his banners are around. I know a few guys that have had work done by him with nothing but praise. Not all shocks can be rebuilt, but he has some good deals if they can't be done.

There's a guy that does them out of his house in Plymouth that did mine. He did a good job and got them done fast at a good price. Do a google search for 'dls enterprises'. It's the home.comcast HSOforum that comes up.

There is a differance between a recharge and a rebuild. As shocks cycle, the nitrogen gas will pass into the oil chamber of the shock. This small bit of high pressure gas 200-300psi, makes a differance when it is down on pressure. The shocks rebound slower and take longer to compress. Remember, you can compress air, but not a liquid. If all you need is fluid and a recharge i can do them for $20 per shock, non-remote resivors.

If the shock needs a seal kit, it will be more, about $35-40 with all new seals. I can't do a seal kit on ski-doo HPG's for this price. I can take PayPal and credit cards as well. jkroska@gmail.com