• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone had a dog with this problem?

UNIT

My dog of 12 years has been semi diagnosed with Laryngeal paralysis (paralysis of the vocal cords). It impairs his breathing slightly as it sounds like he is hoarse when he gets active or excited and breathes more heavily.

I am trying to work through the initial stages of what to do and any insight as to others who have had dogs with this problem would be great. Did you have corrective surgery? If not did your dog live long after and did it have any complications? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

UNIT

My soon to be 15 y.o. Lab has it. She has had it for the past 3 years or so. No surgery. She still hunted throught the fall of her 12th year when in the beginning stages and 2 quick hunts at 13... but she was definitley laboring with her breathing when at that stage.

All in all she has done O.K. with it. I figured all Labs are on barrowed time when they hit 12 and surgery while not to invasive with this procedure can open up a new can of worms as far as infection, shock etc. so I usually forgo any surgery when they are over 11. That is my personal timeline.

My feeling is she should handle it fine if you plan on just having her as a pet. If you plan on hunting her, you may want to consider the surgery. They sure sound funny as they chug along when running with this malady.

Good Luck!

Ken

My last one had that toward the end of her life as well. At about 12 years old it started. Now this dog was also a Blasto survivor so I assumed that had a bit to do with it.

The episodes she had were kind of scary in that she would act the same way you would if someone punched you right in the sternum.

I actually thought I was going to lose her one time after she got on a bird. I came home and told the better half that she was done and that a new pup was needed.

GOOD LUCK with your's!!!

My Chocolate aquired this problem at around 11 1/2 where she would start hacking and act like she was going to puke and then it would be fine again.

With her age, and the vets advice we decided it was best to just leave her be. They said too many problems could arrise after the surgery. One being they couldn't close their throat fully and could choke on food or water along with the infection etc.