Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kevfish1

Cutting Jobs

49 posts in this topic

I find it disgracefull how some city government is now cutting jobs because of the economy. The federal government is then turning around and pumping money into different businesses to stimulate the economy and create jobs. This to me sends a messege that maybe a city job is not as important as stimulas dollars to create a job for a ditch digger. I just dont get it. Cant the cities get stimulas dollars to retain jobs and services???????

exactly. my dad was a building inspector and as recently as january was told that no one would be laid off. only to find out 3 weeks ago that he was going to be laid off. this wed was his last day. it sucks

What ditch diggers dont get to to work? Just because one works for the government why should they be protected over others. Sounds as though a little upity and you look down on those that do work where people get their hands dirty. If they dont do the work and you dont want to who will.?

-

Uncle Bill dont worry we will let you choose the color of the jump suit and the style of shovel for the job.

Well in this economy all of those ditch diggers are being replaced by ditch diggers with bachelors degrees. Who wants a ditch digger without a high school education when there are tons of college educated folks looking to pay the bills by any means. And with all the people now willing to dig ditches to pay the bills, I'm sure jobs in that field are pretty scarce.

Everyone ought to do a little "ditch diggen" in their life. Makes you realize what an honest days work feels like. As for cutting gov jobs, if they can cut the job, than in my opinion it wasn't a neccessary job to begin with. If something needs to be done, than someone needs to do it. That is the idea behind jobs. I think the gov needs to cut any jobs,programs,funding that isn't neccessary. Who cares if cows know which direction is north, it doesn't matter anyway. Don't know who funded that study, but it's an example of how stupidly money is spent( by everyone). But, you still got to feel sorry for people losing their jobs, wether the job needs to be cut or not.

Uncle Bill dont worry we will let you choose the color of the jump suit and the style of shovel for the job.

Thanks Croix !

I'd pick camo, but fear that may be forbidden to all but law enforcement. wink

[Note from admin: this thread has been edited. Please keep political parties or hints pointed toward a political party out of this forum. Please be sure to read, the stickied post in this forum you are required to read before posting in here, as well as Forum Policy. It explains it all. Thanks all. Let's keep it civil in here.]

We've created a vicious cycle, one that's going to be hard to break, and not without hardships for many. The government workforce could use some serious trimming, but that will lead to thousands more without jobs, which will lead to thousands of more folks not contributing to the recovery of the economy, which will lead to the loss of non-government jobs that supported the government positions, and so on, and so on........

exactly. my dad was a building inspector and as recently as january was told that no one would be laid off. only to find out 3 weeks ago that he was going to be laid off. this wed was his last day. it sucks

If building permits are down and construction is at a snails pace, then why would they keep him on the payroll. THIS IS HOW BUSINESS WORKS.. When demand for a product falls you have to adjust your work output ie; product and labor. Go back to school and get a basic understanding of economics. Of course if you work for the government, you didn't take that class I guess. By the way...Let's here it for T-Paw who wants all state employees to take 24 furloughs for the next two years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! crycrycry

Just because one works for the government why should they be protected over others. Sounds as though a little upity and you look down on those that do work where people get their hands dirty. If they dont do the work and you dont want to who will.?

I finally found something to agree with you on Curt. Agree 100%. Since when should have a gov't job make you imune to the economy. And yea, they do get stimulas money, it's called Taxes!! I feel bad for those that got laid off, but if they jobs aren't needed right now, cut them. Many are loosing jobs. As for T-Paw wanting them to take 24 days a year off with no pay, well, if it's that and you keep your job then it's better than getting laid off right?

Where I'm at managers aren't getting raises this year, know that a few months ago. Raise time is coming up for all employees next month. I've heard rumors theya re meeting to talk about not giving anyone a raise. Does it suck? Yea, I'd like to my 2% raise to offset the 40% insurance hike we get every year, but I feel lucky just to have a job and keep a job. So if it means no raise this year, but I'm not getting laid off, I'll take it. I know others who may have to take a pay cut and get hours cut. That sucks too, but still better than no job.

I also agree that a govt job shouldnt mean that you are immune from layoffs. But if "stimulus" money comes your way and that helps you keep your job. Does that mean you should be slammed for being in a fortunate situation? I am a proud forest service employee and the stimulus money is allowing us to do some great things and hire some great employees. How is this a negative thing? Layoffs suck. I have been there when I was in the private sector. And it was a very stressful time for me. Slamming people for keeping their jobs or using tax dollars to create jobs is not the route "WE" want to take. Local govt does need more money, no question. But what do we do?????????

I am a volunteer firefighter and the city has a fulltime janitor that cleans the cities buildings. He is in charge of cleaning the fire hall. The city wanted us to make cuts to our budget so we told them to cut the janitor at the fire hall at about $3000 dollars a year and we would pay a rookie to keep it clean at $500 dollars a year (not much but you have to start somewhere) they told us that then they would have to cut is hours and they will not do that. And then this week they denied us for a grass rig pump that is wore out, No money in the budget.

By the way I am cut back to 2 day every two weeks at my regular job and drawing unemployment. Wonder why I am upset?!?!?!

I was refering to small towns and cities that are already operating on bare bones personel. More specifically police and fire. In a town like St. Paul I am sure it is not a big deal to have a few cops cut and to shuffle thing s around a bit. But to a small town it could have a dramatic effect to the quality of life. I live in a small town with just a few cops. Now the City is getting money from the federal goverment to redo a road thus creating a few road jobs for the summer. But looking at cutting a couple cops and fire equipment. Just seems to me to be wrong. I think the most basic duty of our government is to protect the people--- but maybe I am wrong. So are cops goverment waste???? you may think so but wait to you really need one some day.

Go back to school and get a basic understanding of economics. Of course if you work for the government, you didn't take that class I guess.

Who are you to say that my father doesnt have a basic understanding of economics? mad Both my parents are working 3 scrappy jobs to pay the bills, he understands how money works.. and right now he cant afford to back to school, so thats not an option.

its the internet dude. This may just be sarcasm. if not. then, yes. HE has a lot to learn.

I was referring to small towns and cities that are already operating on bare bones personnel. More specifically police and fire. In a town like St. Paul I am sure it is not a big deal to have a few cops cut and to shuffle thing s around a bit. But to a small town it could have a dramatic effect to the quality of life. I live in a small town with just a few cops. Now the City is getting money from the federal government to redo a road thus creating a few road jobs for the summer. But looking at cutting a couple cops and fire equipment. Just seems to me to be wrong. I think the most basic duty of our government is to protect the people--- but maybe I am wrong. So are cops government waste???? you may think so but wait to you really need one some day.
I get where the frustration is coming from but its not up to the federal government to shore up city Government and City services, that should be delt on the state level.

I would love to send a few of Washington County deputies your way because their crawling out of the works over here.

There is always going to be someone left out of the shuffle. And they have the right to voice there disagreement and they are not wrong with their opinion. Neither is the opinion of the other side of the coin. Its a matter of perspective at who its helping and who its not.

Originally Posted By: kevfish 1
I was referring to small towns and cities that are already operating on bare bones personnel. More specifically police and fire. In a town like St. Paul I am sure it is not a big deal to have a few cops cut and to shuffle thing s around a bit. But to a small town it could have a dramatic effect to the quality of life. I live in a small town with just a few cops. Now the City is getting money from the federal government to redo a road thus creating a few road jobs for the summer. But looking at cutting a couple cops and fire equipment. Just seems to me to be wrong. I think the most basic duty of our government is to protect the people--- but maybe I am wrong. So are cops government waste???? you may think so but wait to you really need one some day.
I get where the frustration is coming from but its not up to the federal government to shore up city Government and City services, that should be delt on the state level.

I would love to send a few of Washington County deputies your way because their crawling out of the works over here.

There is always going to be someone left out of the shuffle. And they have the right to voice there disagreement and they are not wrong with their opinion. Neither is the opinion of the other side of the coin. Its a matter of perspective at who its helping and who its not.

i agree it should not be up to the federal government to shore up city government ... that is part of my point. Why pay the city to fix a road instaed of saving a job?????? that is the basic question. Does the federal goverment know what help some small town needs. they then say it is helping in creating jobs. And in the process helping to lose jobs

Also are you saying that Washington County likes to waste tax payers cash by hiring way more deputies than what is needed??? If you are maybe you need to vote in some different commissioners next time. I would think that they have the amount of deputies that they feel they need to protect the county. Why would they have any more???

Small towns don't have police...small cities do. Small towns rely on the county sheriff.

These are tough times folks. Tighten your belts, its gonna get tougher.

We will all probably be better off when the gov't gets smaller, less involved, not larger with their fingers in everything.

We will all probably be better off when the gov't gets smaller, less involved, not larger with their fingers in everything.

I couldn't agree more. Every large enterprise in America is finding ways to do the same, or more, with fewer people and they're accomplishing this through consolidating divisions, cutting waste, automating laborious jobs, on and on Ad-Nauseum. It's about time our state and local governments start doing the same.

Rmk600--The city employees are in unions and city administers won't stand up the the unions. Governtment doesn't lay off people and now they are crying that the state wants to furloug 24 days this year. Better that no job at all the way I look at it.

WadeJoe-- But it seems the opposite is happening at the Fed.,State and county level.

Remember that when city/county govts threaten to lay off teachers/cops/firefighters it is often a political move. They choose to cut these positions for the citizen outcry/publicity, instead of layingoff nonessential employees. (I.E Mpls threatening to layoff police, yet keeping a city "bike coordinator" on the salary at $70k/year) Obviously they are trying to get more money, but we already live in one of the highest taxed states, and raising takes during a recession is absolutely the wrong thing to do.

I don't want anybody to get laid off, but unfortunately its a part of life and everybody is at risk. Sometimes right sizing something for the current situation is the best thing to do. For every building inspector that is laid off, there also is a mortgage broker, underwriter, construction worker etc... in the same boat.

Burnham, sorry your dad was laid off. That sucks and I hope everthing works out for you and your family. Good Luck!

CJH-- You are right I forgot about that. People have to get more involed in this.

oh i know hes not the only one getting laid off or losing work, my whole family is in construction and my uncle is likely to lose his house. my opinion, as a high schooler is that people just in general need to be more intelligent with their money. (buy a 100 horse motor instead of 150..jk bad example grin)..and that government needs to be less involved. i think that we need more small businesses and that the government should be helping them, not the big corporations...thats just my opinion though