• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shimano Sedona

metrojoe

Question

I have done a search on this reel so I know there has been many discussions about it. I am 90% sure this is the reel I want, but I have a bit of a dilemma. I can purchase the new Sedona for $60 or I could buy last years model for $40. I know they have made some changes for 2009, but would it be to my benefit to spend the extra $20? I'm thinking about buying 2 of them.

21 answers to this question

both good reels, I would look at box and see what they added, might be line roller on bail or something like that. You may not think its worth it, maybe not. You should be able to figure out the basic difference pretty easily

I have about 8 of the older models Sedonas. I saw they came out with a new model this year, but do not know what they added if anything. I think they are GREAT reels for the price!!!!! I would not hesitate to go with the last year model.

Hey, very good question. Being on the Shimano staff I can answer this question as to the changes made to this reel.

the 09 version of the Sedona has a new spool, supposed advantage is easier longer casts, a water proof drag, sealed bearings, and new stronger gears. In my opinion probably worth the extra money, but I have quite a few of the older versions and they have been flawless for me.

Nice reels, but what is the difference between the Sedona FB and the FD series?

There are a few differences posted above but you'll have to look at the specifications for each reel to find out all the differences. I believe the FD is new for 2009. The FB was last years model.

Good info from the man himself, Deitz.

I'm not well informed on the new series. However, I can honestly say I have a few older versions of this reel and they continue to work flawless for me.

Is the 09 version worth the extra money? I can't answer that. If you're thinking of saving a few bucks and getting the older version you're still getting a very good reel.

Fleet Farm in oakdale. There were 5 left when I saw them the first time and when I went back a day later there were only three and I bought two of them. There were a couple different brands and models on clearance.

Just wanted to pipe in cause I was going to send my brother an email about this reel later today.

I think for the money the sedona is a great reel as well. I like the flat paddles and it has all the goodies like the superstopper II

A few years back I purchased 2 symetres that were on sale. They are more expensive than the sedona - but in my humble opinion I did not like the performance as much as the Sedona.

I was just reading through my Bass Pro magazine and saw they added a few new things to this years model for 60 bucks - i am definetely going to buy one. Match that up with a Gander series IM7 for about 40 bucks and you have a great combo for 100 bucks.

Well, the sedona is a spinning reel, not a casting reel.

But any rod will do, it really all depends on what you want the rod to do. Tell us What type of fishing would you like the rod to do.. If you looking for an all around rod. I think a 6'6" M rod is probably the best all around rod.

kev- sorry for my misunderstanding.. If looking for long casts, its really going to depend on what you will be casting... That in mind, the longer the rod, the better leverage you have. So, if you will be throwing a slip bobber or a jig or something liek that.. an 8' M would be the way to go. Check out the Shimano Clarus or the Compre, I know they make the Compre in a 9'ML as well.