• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Some great photo deals out there now

Been surfing evilbay for some equip. and there's some real deals on there if you're looking to get into a DSLR.

I saw a new Canon Rebel XS for about $350-that's alot of camera for that much money. I ran one a few days ago and was very impressed.5D's for around a grand! Seeing many deals on lenses also.

A few weeks ago I picked up a new $700 Manfrotto carbon tripod for just under $200,and tonight I see someone is selling new Bogen 488RC4 ballheads for $79-or best offer! If you need a nice ballhead-pounce!

C'mon folks! Let's get the economy rolling! Whoopee!

So, if a person was interested in going DSLR, but can't afford all the fancy equip you guys have shocked the Rebel XS would be a good choice? Is there such a thing as a decent larger lens that can be had for under a grand?

Love looking at all the great photos you guys post so much that I'm ashamed of my p&s

Cybershot. Had a pretty decent SLR set-up before everything went digital, but now...

DonBo, the XS is capable of taking superb images. For a long lens around $1,000, take a look at the Sigma 150-500 OS (optical stabilization). Really nice image quality with that lens. Going supertelephoto has a pretty strong learning curve, mostly surrounding learning how to steady the lens so your images aren't blurry.

OS (or Canon's image stabilization or Nikon's vibration reduction) is a key when handholding larger glass. When using long glass that's not stabilized, I rarely shoot handheld, most often opting for a monopod or a tripod. In fact, a stabilized supertelephoto shot off a monopod is a deadly combination.

Canon's 500mm weighs 8 pounds, which puts it in the iffy category for handholding. You've got to be strong to do it. After yesterday, my left deltoids were letting me know all about it.

We were basically running and gunning, hopping out of the vehicle when we saw grab shot opportunities of wildlife, so I ended up taking off the monopod so it'd be easier to get the kit in and out of the vehicle in a hurry. Most times I'd be shooting that glass off the monopod or, if we were set up in a static situation, off a tripod or a beanbag rest.

Think the OS is necessary with anything over, say, 400mm? I know some guys on here hand hold some pretty big lenses. Is that how you get away with it?

Shoot at a higher shutter speed. I handhold a heavy camera and long glass for VERY long periods of time but always make sure my shutter speeds are over 1/1000s by adjusting my ISO. It certainly can be done if you have fast enough glass, good enough light and good technique.

Originally Posted By: DonBo
Think the OS is necessary with anything over, say, 400mm? I know some guys on here hand hold some pretty big lenses. Is that how you get away with it?

Shoot at a higher shutter speed. I handhold a heavy camera and long glass for VERY long periods of time but always make sure my shutter speeds are over 1/1000s by adjusting my ISO. It certainly can be done if you have fast enough glass, good enough light and good technique.

It's that "fast enough glass" that worries me. Aren't we talking lot's of zeros now? I'm just a working guy.

Don,

Not necessarily. The compromise is shooting at higher ISO's. If you don't have fast glass you accept a bit more noise in your images. With todays sensors, and software to deal with noise, there is no reason you can't get excellent results with slower lenses.

Well then I may just have to start perussing some of the auction type sites and see what's available.

I know you guys will steer me in the right direction if I have any questions on decisions I may have to make, right? smile

Don,for what it's worth the best Canon telephoto lens for the dollar bar none-in my opinion- is the 70-300mm IS. Around $450-$550 new,it has the 2 mode IS system and is sharp. Couple it with a new Rebel XS and you will have an entire rig that is capable of more than alot of photographer's abilities-for under 1K. When weight is a concern I really miss that lens!

This was a shot from my 70-300IS-it would do better than this,but it's the only one I could find quickly.

3390305061_9b788ae4a7.jpg

I have a Canon Rebel XT as well as a XSi and they are both fantastic cameras. I use Tameron lenses with mine and they are pretty good lenses for the money. They dont have the IS options but I use my tripod quite abit and I end up with some nice images...

DonBo, I have the xti and use the 70-300IS Marinermagnum mentioned. Any problems I do have (and I do) are due only to my skills or lack thereof--not the lens. I'll get it, and the lens will serve me well on the journey. I can get some photos that I am very happy with, so I know the equipment capability is there. I do avoid ISO's over 400, though I think 800 should be usable with good exposure and noise reduction pp. I got some yesterday in gray conditions that are I like, but would never assume to print in large sizes. I would love the bigger stuff, but let's face it--I would need some serious weight lifting program, and the skills still need to be in place.

No doubt a decent SLR and glass will give some pretty impressive pics. What I find interesting is a fella in a local camera club I go to now and again. We have gone on some pic taking excursions where he leaves his SLR at home and out does all of us with his point and shoot. His keen eye and artistic ability allow him to work within the limits of his p&s and put out some fantastic pictures! Not sure what the point of this is but I do know the man is a artist with $150 tool or a $3000 tool.

A lot depends on the artistic abilities of the photographer. Keep the rules of photography in mind while you are taking the photos and you will become a photographer with what ever equipment you have.

I usually remember the rule of thirds... Divide your screen into thirds both horizontally and vertically. Place your subject on one of the intersecting lines instead of centering. Also make sure that the photograph keeps your eyes moving withing the picture. Photographs that have lines the lead your eyes right out of the photograph can be distracting and will not keep your interest very long...

Just a couple things to remember...