• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

High water cold weather Kattin'

AceintheHole

So since these are the condition we are looking at for at least part of this spring. Tactics and presentations in theses conditions. I will be looking for some slack water that will collect dead shad and other bait fish using the normal slip rig with a 5/0 circle hook with some cut bait.

Right now, I would be looking for warm run off waters with low current, and focusing on there home areas. With water temps still in the upper 30's the fish arent very active yet. Another 10 degrees of water temp, then you can start focusing on the slack water feeding areas.

High water cold weather Kattin'???

I don't think I have a cat rod that will see the river for 1-1/2 more months, at least from a boat anyway. wink

I'll bet my last 30 bags of frozen Shad against that.... grin

Lets see...thats roughly May 15th....hmmmmmm......

Yep! I'm ALL IN on that one... grin

I went to check out some spots today and WOW am I amazed at the change in the river from late last summer and fall. I have never river fished before then and never paid any attention to it at all so seeing it all and taking before and after pictures is incredible. The river is a whole new monster right now and I have a whole new respect for it for sure. Glad I picked up some 4, 5, and 6 oz. no-rolls from Moore's on Wednesday because I know I will need them.

Now just have to wait until the temps raise up. I will not target Flatheads until well into April. In the meantime I'll just fish some crawlers on the bottom and see what will bite.

I have been an early die-hard the last couple years and have really nothing to show for it, other than some channels on the Miss. North. This year I plan on concentrating my time more wisely on the river for flatheads and even channels, verses just having to get out. Even if they are early, total skunk trips bite. I guess live and learn.

Now, for other other species of fish I will be on the river now and in the next month wink.

I don't usually see many big fish until it gets close to may. I just like being out there, and the river is the same drive as the local lakes. 10-30 puts me at many different lake or river landings. Your due for a biggun this year shack.

You should have respect for that river as it can kill someone easily this time of year. If your looking for weights that will hold a bullhead down your gonna have to go 8 oz or larger, no roll or not, the flow is too strong right now for something to hold in one spot. I scouted a few spots from my Kayak in the area that have my name all over them wink I can't wait for the water temp to rise up a bit. Channels are biting, but they are not the same as the big flatheads.

I went to check out some spots today and WOW am I amazed at the change in the river from late last summer and fall. I have never river fished before then and never paid any attention to it at all so seeing it all and taking before and after pictures is incredible. The river is a whole new monster right now and I have a whole new respect for it for sure. Glad I picked up some 4, 5, and 6 oz. no-rolls from Moore's on Wednesday because I know I will need them.

Now just have to wait until the temps raise up. I will not target Flatheads until well into April. In the meantime I'll just fish some crawlers on the bottom and see what will bite.

Hey Scott I think we need to pair up for a couple of the Moore's contest this spring.

I am not much of a contest type of fishermen, I like to fish for fun without the pressure of involving money. I am not saying I wont fish them, I just haven't in many years. We can always hook up and fish anytime, just give me a holler.