• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Live bait-Bullheads couple ?'s

Laska

So Ive been reading quite a bit about bullheads as bait and keeping them in a portable fish tank, I have that set up already from having decoy suckers for northerns, but I was wondering where in the heck can I find bullheads in qty to keep in the tank n that are under 7" n that I can maintain a good supply without breaking the bank, all info would be greatly appreciated.

lol, well im getting into cats period, n I live on the mississippi river half hour away from the iowa border so I doubt id take anyones spot, I was just wondering how to start getting an abundance of small ones or if guys just get a few to spawn n they take the fingerlings or how anyone goes about doing it thats all smile

Try to find some sort of overhead dam. The bullheads like to tuck up against the dam. Small ponds and large creeks will have them as well. Ask around locally, there’s a good chance you’ll find a good spot from people upset that they are catching them all the time. smile

Good Luck

ok, thx guys, so I know when I used to catch them they were always bigger than 7" this may seem strange to say but anyone have an idea for just catching small ones, god what is wrong with me, "I wanna catch small fish?" doesnt seem right lol

Try a minnow trap Laska.

That's my biggest beef with the 7" reg. Not that I cannot use bigger ones, just the hassle of having to first find them, then sort them and hope that I didn't miss a couple.

elwood my wife n I would love too!! Its easy for me to get on the river I only live 4 blocks away!

Dtro- I think I have a minnow trap but what do I bait it with? dont think I can put worms in it, n where would I set it? smile

Dog food works good in the traps. Try to find a spot that funnels the fish, neckdown in creek. If a pond, just toss it out there and let is soak for a day.

Make sure you follow any minnow trapping laws in your area.

if there are any stocked for kids ponds around you i would start there. lots of those get over run with small bullheads, we use a mix of chopped chicken liver and tuna fish tied up into pantyhose and about the size of golfballs. keeps em from tearin up the baits and lets the smell drift out well. those lil guys are such good bait it makes me wish i could get a license to sell them and creek chubs.

See I only have 1 lake around me really and they just dredged it 2 years back so all the info is outta date for where to go, Im thinking trying under this brigde where its runs into a sorta stream.... maybe itll work

Anyways I got my bait tank set up, n now I just need to go get some bullies.