• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

? for lcornice about hunting areas

Are we likely to see less early antlerless areas this coming fall & at least preliminarily do you know where?

Same question on changes from intensive to managed areas, etc.

Most of my interest would lie in changes to 213 & 214. My assumption, perhaps incorrectly, would be the early antlerless won't happen in 214 this year, which is fine with me.

I have a question for Lou.

With all the debate we've been having about improving the age structure of our bucks, how many bucks does the DNR figure are cross-tagged? What is the average antlered buck kill in MN?

Hunter surveys show about 7-10% of hunters take >1 buck so if half the people comply with a no cross-tagging regulation, you could expect to knock 3-5% off the buck harvest. Obviously, it goes up if more people follow the law. With respect to total buck harvest, it hovers around 100K per year (give or take).

Lou,

forgive me for diving into the numbers, but I dont understand something....

Assuming 400,000 hunters, you stated 7-10% take >1 buck. That means (using the 10% for easy math) 40,000 hunters take >1 buck. That means >40,000 2nd/3rd/4th bucks, but lets use 40,000 extra bucks due to cross tagging. You state that prolly half of them will obey the law, thus that is 20,000 bucks. 20,000 extra bucks divided by the total buck harvest of 100,000 bucks is saving 20% or likely a little more due to some hunters shooting 3, 4, 5, etc. What am I doing incorrectly?