• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

blade baits

I would go with the orginal ZIP Lure. But B fish N tackle do have a great bait. I use both. I would pick up some silver or gold or fire tiger depending on what type of water your fishing. I would maybe also pick up a few dull colors for clear water lakers!

What is the most effective way to fish these in the River/Lakes, and are they best for certain times of the year? I have a couple (I think Heddon) blade baits, but have not used much - looking to experiment more this summer.

I'm not an expert just started using them a few years ago but here are some situations where I use them.

#1- River pre-spawn when the fish are up shallow and the bite is really on. Just lift and drop you dont have to jerk wildly.

#2 on a lake when I am vertical jigging for fish and the water is stained, I like to provide some flash and vibration and thats what these baits do.

#3 When i'm snap jigging I will tie on a real light one and snap jig the flats with them not letting them hit bottom.

My advice is not to over work these baits subtle movements work best. Good luck I hope it helps.

Hey What are these baits made to do? I found one of these while walking in a nearby crick. It is old but it still has the colors on it and old rusty hooks? just wondering what they do and what they work for.

Thanks for the info guys. I picked up some Sonars and ordered a few B3's to play around with.

HH, why do you like the Zip's? They we're a bit more expensive than the Heddon Sonars, yet didn't look nearly as well made.

I found this place called RJ fishing Lures that makes a Trigger blade bait - they had some pretty sweet colors. Anyone try them? Looks like you need to mail a check?!

I just like the shape of the Zip lures to be honest. They were the first ones that I saw in the store that I liked and they have been working so I figure why switch? As someone said earlier to switch the hooks, I do that on all my baits anyways. I like to put red hooks on. I do use the B fish n tackle ones too at times.

I'm not an expert, just getting into using blades myself, but I believe the hole closer to the front provides a faster and tighter wiggle, while further back gives the lure a slower more exaggerated wiggle. You can also balance out a blade that has some sort of additional bait hooked to the rear treble by moving to the rear hole.

Actually it's just the opposite. The holes are pivot points. The closer to the head the wider the blade can swing from side to side. As you move to the middle and back the blade swing is stiffled and the action becomes much tighter.