• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Salt Water Use of MN Reels

Weed Shark

Would you do it? I have two of my late father's old salmon bait-casters: a Penn Peer #209, and a Penn Peerless #9. I'm not sure about their value; I think they are respectable but not "high end" reels. Also, my Ambassador Classic, a Quantum bait-caster, and a Shimano open face.

I have three boys ages 9, 11, and 11 and they want to fish. I'm on a very limited budget right now, so we may be shore fishing. It is likely we would use the reels a couple of times in a week.

By all means use em if ya got em! The reels described are classics but not antiques, some of the older reels may have been better built than the newer versions. Your boys will thank you and I bet thier grandpa would be proud to see them put to good use.

Baitcasters might a little tough for boys that age to master casting from shore unless your casting something heavy like spinner baits or weighted bottom rigs, they can practice throwing weights w/o hooks in the yard. They might be perfect for catfish reels, especially if you can set the clickers to wait for bites. I hear you on the budget, I hit every garage-sale I can find and get some great deals on rods and reels, old fiberglass rods work great for cats. You can also buy some very affordable spinning reel set-ups these days, low end shimano reels for about 15-30$ ea paired up with an ugly stick rod and you have a rig that is great for kids and will take lots of abuse. The big Penns are also great for trolling and can hold lots of line for running leadcore.

You could also look into trading those baitcasters reels for spinning rod/reel combos on the swap page. I think teaching your kids to fish will be the best investment you can make! Good luck and have fun,

LOTS of freshwater rinseing after every use. I have the opposite problem; trying to find MN uses for my saltwater gear. But even the gear built for the salt needs freshwater rinseing, every time.

exactly, salt water will tear up your reels very quickly. as far as salt water reel use here in MN, not a problem, bring them up here to superior.

I have used freshwater reels in the saltwater and you need to rinse them like folks said and when you think you are done rinse them again. I always would spray mine down with wd-40 both before and after use to help drive the water away and to protect the reels from corrosion. It definately helps but is not the cure all. If you are going to take them for a long week or weekend you should be fine with rinsing and spraying them down with wd after use and prior to the next use. The newer high end Shimano reels have saltwater resistant bearings in them but as a rule, I'd still do a thourogh rinse and dry and rinse and dry and then coat them with WD-4o for a little protection. By the way, you need to do the same thing with all of the freshwater tackle you use down there or you risk rusting and hook/hook tie in breakage from corrosion as well. The Penns you have will work well but to extend the useful life of the reels, wash, dry, rinse dry and coat with wd-40.

Tunrevir~

whoops sorry I misread the question, I thought you were using them up here in MN. If you bring your own rinse and lube as mentioned before.

If you are going to rent several setups for mulitiple days it might be better to just buy some cheap wally world combos or go on a party boat for one day where equipment is covered in price and hopefully the capt will put you on fish.