• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

carpin' the cold

we got a good blanket of snow last night. wasnt to happy about it. but i still went out fishing. it wasnt long before i hooked up with the first carp of the day.

101_0034.jpg

it wasnt anything special. but a great fight on the UL

101_0033.jpg

about 10 minutes later a second

101_0035.jpg

afterward it really slowed down and the wind began to pick up. and my hands were starting to go numb but i kept fishing

i hooked up to quite a few fish but lost them all because of ice build up on the line and the rod eyelets frown i asked a guy next door if he had a candle in his house that i could borrow. which he did. i rubbed the eyelets until they were waxy enought to not hold water.

thus i was able to catch a few more carp before i was starting to get a little frost bitten

101_0036.jpg

101_0037.jpg

101_0038.jpg

101_0039.jpg

Hey Carpman,

I used to fish carp a lot during high school, but havent now for about 6 years. I live in the cities and I didnt know that the carp bit this early in the year. I am wondering if you could point me in the right direction on where to go fishing in the cities this time of year. Not looking for any secret spot, but a idea of where I could hook into some carp tomorrow would be great. You can reply here or email me at [email protected]. Thanks a lot.

Go carpman! I also didnt know that the carp feed like that this early.. U said u were catching them on wax worms?? How are u fishing them? I'm gonna try my local carp spot this weekend and want to have a whole arsenal ready for them.

Hey Carpman,

I used to fish carp a lot during high school, but havent now for about 6 years. I live in the cities and I didnt know that the carp bit this early in the year. I am wondering if you could point me in the right direction on where to go fishing in the cities this time of year. Not looking for any secret spot, but a idea of where I could hook into some carp tomorrow would be great. You can reply here or email me at [email protected]. Thanks a lot.

eric kol would be the one to ask. he lives down in that area. he is on this site. just start a topic with eric kol on the title and he will help u out.

Go carpman! I also didnt know that the carp feed like that this early.. U said u were catching them on wax worms?? How are u fishing them? I'm gonna try my local carp spot this weekend and want to have a whole arsenal ready for them.

yes i am. during the prespawn carp want alot of protien and waxworms are a great source of it. i was fishing them on a jig just so i had little risk of them feeling anyweight and dropping the bait

Wax worms? Hmm...on a jig? In the river? I have always been told to use corn on a #4 hook with a sinker with a 12" lead...I never get anything.. [email protected] is my email. Maybe you could send a few pointers as you seem to know what you are doing...I sure would appreciate it..as I only wish I could have as much fun as you are catching carp...

By the way...I generally fish the Mississippi in the St Paul Park, West St Paul area...if that matters or not..

Thanks...

Wax worms? Hmm...on a jig? In the river? I have always been told to use corn on a #4 hook with a sinker with a 12" lead...I never get anything.. [email protected] is my email. Maybe you could send a few pointers as you seem to know what you are doing...I sure would appreciate it..as I only wish I could have as much fun as you are catching carp...

By the way...I generally fish the Mississippi in the St Paul Park, West St Paul area...if that matters or not..

Thanks...

its a lake not a river. its a little inlet from a creek where fish spawn in. so i dont have to worry about current like you do in rivers. you can use waxies on that hook instead of corn. any larvea or worms are great to use as bait because of the protien content. you cant use boilies if ur willing to chum for weeks before the fish actually start to recognize it as food. i am just a natural carper. i dont use boiles, i use worms or corn. alot of people complain about catching bullhead and cats while carp fishing, i like the suprise of catching things you arent expecting to catch. like snappers, pike, walleye (like my 10lber on corn last spring while carp fishing) , bowfin, sucker, bullhead, etc. its all part of the fun =]

I generally fish the Mississippi in the St Paul Park, West St Paul area...if that matters or not..

Thanks...

I fish the river in these areas all the time and generaaly do well. I use corn and slip rig 75% of the time. When the action picks up I'll be glad to show you how its done. Many lakes and ponds in the area are great for carp and offer good chances at some giants.

Carpman, are you using a floating jig to get the waxies off the bottom? Or just letting it lay in the muck? There's so much leaf debris in inlet areas like that in the spring. Half the time I sit there with a clump of leaves covering the bait and don't even know it.

Carpman, are you using a floating jig to get the waxies off the bottom? Or just letting it lay in the muck? There's so much leaf debris in inlet areas like that in the spring. Half the time I sit there with a clump of leaves covering the bait and don't even know it.

just a regular jig. the debris is mainly on the sides of the current. thats where i sight fish. i use a 1/16oz head so there is little chance of it snking into the leaves. usually the carp takes it after a few twitches

Corn and Crawlers on the bottom over by the Lions Park in St Paul Park has always produced lots of Carp and Cats.Try the mouth from the Marina into the Mississippi. Good Luck. Only problem with Crawlers is you have a hard time keeping the Sheepsheads off the hook and they can be a pain. Any tips from readers as to how they avoid sheepshead from being a bother would be usefull information- Unless you prefer catching a few that is. FISH ON.......

Quote:
Corn and Crawlers on the bottom over by the Lions Park in St Paul Park

That island is completely submerged right now...but that is a good spot in the channel of the marina...Drum, Sheepshead... still a fish if you ask me...better than no fish in my opinion...but they are pesky, that's for sure..and they stink too...

Quote:
Corn and Crawlers on the bottom over by the Lions Park in St Paul Park

That island is completely submerged right now...but that is a good spot in the channel of the marina...Drum, Sheepshead... still a fish if you ask me...better than no fish in my opinion...but they are pesky, that's for sure..and they stink too...

i love catching drum, i wish i had the chance to catch more of them. but i rarely get the chance unless im catfishing under a dam about an hour away from here

Havent been back there lately. I know it does get high this time of year though. Have you tried Grey Cloud yet? I am from the CG area also. I also went down behind North Star Steel and seen the Carp floating all over-the Eagles were eating good. Use to be really good back there for Northerns. Parking can be a puzzle as to where you will or will not get a ticket.

Not much traffic down there on the weekends...I just put it in 4 wheel drive and parked up on the grass off the road...didn't catch anything though...there were some monster dead carp floating though...

Quote:
i love catching drum, i wish i had the chance to catch more of them

So why do you suppose they smell so much different than other fish? I mean, it is noticeably different smell then any other fish...almost sickening..still fun to catch though...

Quote:
we got a good blanket of snow last night. wasnt to happy about it. but i still went out fishing.

Looks like your about to get dumped on big time tomorrow...15-18" of wet snow..yuck...

Quote:
i love catching drum, i wish i had the chance to catch more of them

So why do you suppose they smell so much different than other fish? I mean, it is noticeably different smell then any other fish...almost sickening..still fun to catch though...

i never noticed the smell .

Quote:
we got a good blanket of snow last night. wasnt to happy about it. but i still went out fishing.

Looks like your about to get dumped on big time tomorrow...15-18" of wet snow..yuck...

ya. but i go fishing in all types of weather. i should be fine. lol