Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gunflint

Some Will Understand

25 posts in this topic

From The Duluth News Tribune.

Fisherman refuses rescue, says fish were biting

The Oshkosh, Wis., Fire Department sent a rescue boat to a 35-year-old man on Tuesday, but he refused assistance, saying the fishing was good.

OSHKOSH, Wis. (AP) — A fisherman floating on a Lake Winnebago ice slab refused to be rescued, telling authorities he wanted to stay because the fish were biting.

Winnebago County sheriff’s officials say Joseph Dake used a ladder across open water to get to the ice slab, about a quarter-mile from shore.

Lt. John Zimmerman said the slab was connected to ice that led to shore, but a large crack had formed.

The Oshkosh Fire Department sent a rescue boat to Dake on Tuesday evening. But the 35-year-old Oshkosh man refused assistance, saying the fishing was good.

I was gonna say "Only in Wisconsin", but that's not true is it? smile

I guess the next question is..........

If he later calls for help do you go get him?

I think he made the right decision. I mean, eventually the ice is gonna float back towards shore, but the bite could end anytime.

A Guy has to have priorities...and you guys from MN call yourselves fisherman.

I wonder if he had enough Old Milwaukee to keep him alive or before the fish stopped biting! Another one of those "he died doing what he loved" storys coming up I think! crazy

I guess the next question is..........

If he later calls for help do you go get him?

He's already got a hole in the ice. Give him a trolling motor and let him motor his way back to shore.wink

I agree with chasineyes, doesn't sound real bright to me. If you are that far from shore floating on an ice island.

Is there a Paul Harvey, "The Rest Of The Story" to this adventure. I will give him a little Ataboy for that feat, a little bit of stupidity there, but he must have felt safe.

G.C.

who called on him anyways? Was he just a surprised man fishing... priceless look on his face I bet

A couple of paragraphs from a news story and way too many assumptions/judgements being made.

One of the biggest problems in society today. Quick to judge, slow to know the story.

I say fish on my man!!!!!

Is there a Paul Harvey, "The Rest Of The Story" to this adventure.

the rest of the story may be his "Obit'

Actually, he dropped off some fillets at the firehouse on his way home.

It wasn't a rescue though and if he didn't call it in and he was fine on his own, he shouldn't have to pay for anything.

That is what I was getting at, if he didn't accept a ride he wouldn't be on the hook for any of the cost grin.

This just goes to show...you should always bring an anchor with rope, and a paddle when late season ice-fishing...and wear clean skivvys in case you drown... laugh

I'm hoping to get out on the ice in the next few days myself, now I won't forget my paddle...

That is what I was getting at, if he didn't accept a ride he wouldn't be on the hook for any of the cost grin.

And if something happens to him, his family will be the first to complain and sue officials for not helping him.

They should have tazed him and threw his arse in the rescue boat.

Much cheaper lawsuit to defend that way... wink

They should have tazed him and threw his arse in the rescue boat.

Much cheaper lawsuit to defend that way... wink

laughlaughlaughlaughlaughlaughlaughlaughlaughlaughlaughlaughlaughlaughlaughlaughlaughlaughlaughlaughlaughlaughlaughlaughlaughlaughlaughlaugh