Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
buddha

I think its time to be careful.

33 posts in this topic

Ice fisherman pulled from White Bear Lake

By Brady Gervais

bgervais@pioneerpress.com

Updated: 03/25/2009 12:28:31 PM CDT

A 44-year-old man was rescued after he fell through the ice on White Bear Lake around 10:10 a.m. today, according to the Ramsey County Sheriff's Office.

The man had been planning to ice fish, said Holli Drinkwine, a Ramsey County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman. He was in the water for about 15 minutes before being rescued.

He was taken to a nearby hospital. His condition is unknown, but he was conscious when he was removed from the lake, Drinkwine said.

The man's name has not been released.

The Ramsey County Sheriff's Office water patrol assisted White Bear Lake authorities in the rescue.

Authorities are advising caution on lakes.

"The ice is getting dangerously thin," Drinkwine said.

Brady Gervais can be reached at 651-228-2171.

I decided today to get everything ready for storage. I was going to try and get out this weekend, but I don't think its going to happen, and not sure I want to take the risk. With all of this rain, just don't trust it.

Lots of larger areas opening up in the Chisago Lake Chain area, and the ice is getting pretty dark in some areas. I would not recommend anyone ice fishing these lakes. Not worth in IMO.

Im thinking almost everything south of the Bemidji area is off-limits. the combination of winds and downpours really rips that ice up fast.

I've heard he was rescued by a 'cable installer'... was it a fellow FM'er? Anyone know? Not that it makes any differance, either way, CONGRATS to the rescuer!! And Good luck/ best wishes to the victim!! Phred52

Best wishes to both of them. Somehow I bet there is a connection to FM with the fisherman.

Article on Kare11 dot com that talks about a man who refused assistance last night on lake winnebago. Ice broke away 1/4 mile out and the fish were biting! I think he planned to have it blow over to the next peice of ice or something

Here ya go.... he must have been catching some monsters

OSHKOSH, Wis. - A fisherman floating on a Lake Winnebago ice slab refused to be rescued, telling authorities he wanted to stay because the fish were biting.

Winnebago County sheriff's officials say Joseph Dake used a ladder across open water to get to the ice slab, about a quarter mile from shore.

Lt. John Zimmerman says the slab was connected to ice that led to shore, but a large crack had formed.

The Oshkosh Fire Department sent a rescue boat to Dake Tuesday evening. But, the 35-year-old Oshkosh man refused assistance, saying the fishing was good.

All my ice fishing gear is already packed away...no sense in risking my life for fishing. Its hard to be fishing when you are dead!

OSHKOSH, Wis. - A fisherman floating on a Lake Winnebago ice slab refused to be rescued, telling authorities he wanted to stay because the fish were biting.

Winnebago County sheriff's officials say Joseph Dake used a ladder across open water to get to the ice slab, about a quarter mile from shore.

Lt. John Zimmerman says the slab was connected to ice that led to shore, but a large crack had formed.

The Oshkosh Fire Department sent a rescue boat to Dake Tuesday evening. But, the 35-year-old Oshkosh man refused assistance, saying the fishing was good.

Thats a Fmer for sure. Only a fmer would turn down assistance to be rescued if the fish were biting laugh

Originally Posted By: WyoChris

Thats a Fmer for sure. Only a fmer would turn down assistance to be rescued if the fish were biting laugh

I was thinking the same thing!!!

Now thats what you call a combo between open water and ICe fishing right there.

Yea, At this point, my life is more valuable than a couple of fishies. I'm almost ready for 'soft water' season already and the call of the ice is rapidly fading! Don't get me wrong.. Icing 'em is just too much!! But I'll take soft water as a close second. Phred52

I packed up all the gear...

sad to say.. the season is over for me.

I am not much of an open water fisher person... I can handle tossing a line for a few pike or some bass... but I just dont get into like Ice Fishing. I will be looking forward to next season in about 5 minutes....

I dont care how good the fishing is it is not worth losing your life over a fish... I can wait for the boat...

All of the lakes here in southern mn are ice free already.

Yepper- carried all my stuff downstairs the other day. Kinda puts a tear in the eye. Torn between sadness the seasons over, and sadness because of all the moneys worth of gear gathering dust and spider webs for 8 months

The ice is rotting away as we speak. Be patient. We can be boating in a couple weeks (or less) around here.

Hope to hear a happy ending to the story.

Better get the entryway finished like I was supposed to between hunting and ice fishing. whistle

Not much time left between hunting and fishing again.

I was out tonight in the Detroit Lakes AREA and the Ice was not that great. shore line was ate up pretty bad.The Ice was ok but very spoongie. The auger pushed through very easy but there was still over 2 ft of ice. I thaught I was done a week ago but I gave it one last try tonight and Now, I know I'm done. I really didn't feel good out there tonight.Plus fishing really sucked.Its not worth going threw the ice thats for sure. I walked out, I DIDN"T DRIVE. Just so you know..

I haven't been out to check it, but with all this rain and wind the ice has to be honeycombed something terrible.

ws thinking of trying a lake up here, but may have to rethink it. if I do will be wheeler and not the truck.

Quote:

That's a long ladder. I need one like that to reach my top gutters. wink