• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

walleye rod suggestions

TravP

I'm looking for a new walleye rod that wont break the bank. I would be using it mainly for jigging and lindy rigging. Kinda an all around walleye rod I guess. Any suggestions on a rod and reel.

Thanks,

TravP

Hey--Look at the Fennwick rods (I would stick to the GT or HMX) these are really affordable. Berkley also has the NEW AMP rods, I believe these retail for around 30 bucks, these are the new Lightning rods !! Very affordable and VERY sensitive/fishable fishing rods. For the reel look at the Abu Garcia cardinals, they are NOT what they were before, they are top shelf IMO and come in between 30-50 bucks. Hard to beat a combo like that !!

What price range are you looking for? I have a Fenwick HMG and a Shimano Symetre that work great for jigging. The total is about $200, $120 for the rod and $80 for the reel (at the time). I got the 6'6 medium and it feels much more sensitive than my St. Croix Premier 6'6 medium, which costs about the same.

i just bought a new RAPALA extreme ultra light ($30). i paired it with an abu garcia cardinal ($30) and trilene sensation in 6lb test ($7)

the sensitivity is amazing! and strength of the rod makes it the best rod out there for the price IMO. i could feel carp sucking on the bait with it! and i cant even feel a carp until it actually takes my bait with my st croix or my pflueger rods! and the rod can bend just like an ugly stik against the runs from a carp and not even come close to snapping!

(btw i do guage my walleye and crappie rods by testing them on carp)

2009007.jpg

2009008.jpg

2009009.jpg

2009010.jpg

2009011.jpg

2009012.jpg

2009013.jpg

There are several decent rod and reels in that range. Including several mentioned here. You may want to look at the Shimano Compre for a rod. They're around $100. The Shimano Sonora mentioned above is a decent inexpensive reel.

If you are going to use it for a combo lindy rig and jigging rod, I would definitely go with a 6'6" rod, no less. For lindy rigging, you ideally would have a 7 to 8 foot rod, but I think that's too long for vertical jigging. I'd probably go with medium light with fast tip. A quality rod is everything when rigging.

Good Luck!

Trav, the Cabela's Tourney Trail series rods or the shimano compre series are great and both go for less than $100. For lindy rigging it is tought to beat a 7' ML. For any live bait fishing, a soft tip is key.

For $150 I would look into a Fenwick HMX and a Simano Sonora. That should run a little over $150, and would be a very good set. My dad runs that and loves it.

This is actually exactly what i was thinking about before you posted this. I think I can get this for around $135.

Originally Posted By: &JAG
Limit Creek "Smoothie" awesome bang for the buck!!!

I'll second that, bought one last summer and I love it.

I will third it. Check out the Limit Creek smoothie. One of the best rods I've used. I've stopped using my St. Croix rods and went with the smoothies and also the 8'3" rod is a great second one to use for "two line" situations.

I've got a couple Quantum Affinity rods that I've used for a few years now and for the price they are a great rod. I'm in the process of selecting new reels for these rods and last night I came across a couple Shimano Sedonas on clearance for $40. I'm going to stop after work tonight and if they are still there I'm buying them.