• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone ever think of using mepps spinners...

Laska

Ok Ill admit right off the bat I can always catch bass off of mepps spinner, #5's and bigger, and I was wondering if anyone else has given them a try, I never hear of the pros using them, or anyone else really, but I love them and they work!! Every year whether I wanna catch them or not I do, I mainly fish for northers and mepps is my go to But I seem to catch more bass than northerns most days and Im not complaining I love BASS! but sometimes its just not what I wanna catch ya know... below I attached some pics of fish caught yesterday on the river from shore.

3lbs- Red/White mepps Musky Marabou white Tail

mepps1.jpg

1.5lbs #5 Black fury mepps

Bass2.jpg

2lbs Red/White mepps Musky Marabou white Tail

mepps2.jpg

4lbs #5 Black fury mepps

Bass1.jpg

So what ya guys think? I wanna knw if anyone out there fishes them like I do...

Looks like Red and White is your goto color....I use them once in a while but I always catch northerns. Don't get me wrong I like northerns but it's just not what I wanna catch ya know? smile

I should also note that I know lots of people that use spinners in the river as a go to bait. They catch lots of smallmouths

Yeah, last year with the Black Fury in the same day I caught a 10lb channel cat, 19" Walleye a 5lb Largemouth and a 19" 2.3lb smallmouth, in the same day!

Mepps seems to attract alot of different fish, for me if I go with a big enough mepps I can only catch Northerns and a few big bass, but when I fish with the #5 I never know really whats going to hit my lure. Lots of fun tho!!

When canoeing in the BWCA and north from there, Mepps are always in the tackle box. I've not only caught bass and northerns, but walleyes and even brook trout. Have to think that with the proper conditions, lakers would be interested in a Mepps as well.

AT28.jpg

Sorry for a photo of a "trash" fish on the Bass Forum! gringrin

wow thats alot thats like heaven if I could ever have that many at once, you should try Firetiger #5 blade with white bucktail treble, watch how many fish ya catch! the mepps HSOforum you can design your own its prett sweet.

The #5 Aglia in black/orange or black/Chartouse are my kids go to baits. Good on Bass and the northerns love them. They also catch a eye once in a while. Also beter for the kids as they have only one set of hooks vs 2.

When canoeing in the BWCA and north from there, Mepps are always in the tackle box. I've not only caught bass and northerns, but walleyes and even brook trout. Have to think that with the proper conditions, lakers would be interested in a Mepps as well.

Sorry for a photo of a "trash" fish on the Bass Forum! gringrin

Thats not a trash fish, its just a really awsomely colored trout!, We'll just call it a polish bass smile

We use those baits at the beginning of the season when the ice goes out to go "crappie" fishing. We catch 10 bass to every one crappie. It is nice to throw them out on light gear and hook up with a 2-3lb bass. That is a great picture of the trout. I take it from your avatar picture that you took the picture. Very Nice!!!

I put them to use quite a bit, particularly when covering large weed flats (muskie mentality maybe, cover a lot of water fast). I catch a few on bucktails too, up to double 8 blades (you can't imagine the disappointment of yanking a 16" bass clear out of the water on the hookset).

The following are all pictures from last year of pictures caught on the same firetiger blade brown/white skirt #5 Aglia, as seen in the mouth of the walleye (what was it thinking). Sadly the bucktail is starting to thin and the paint on the blade is being tooth eroded. Posted as links to save space.

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v307/247/77/13914896/n13914896_46938374_1701.jpg

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v319/247/77/13914896/n13914896_48049255_3629.jpg

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v319/247/77/13914896/n13914896_48049253_2703.jpg

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v349/247/77/13914896/n13914896_48506431_5366.jpg

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v349/247/77/13914896/n13914896_48911649_9235.jpg

Oh, and I have a few other colors in my box as well (as in just about all of them). Back when bullheads were overabundant in our lake it has tough to beat the black/yellow black fury. Found a good school one fall throwing those and could have had a two man limit of 10 fish topping 40 lbs in about 2 hours.

there is not a better multi-species lure out there. the best thing about them is there is a size to match the baitfish no matter what time of year. i've caught a lgb, smb, white bass, walleye, northern,channel cats, a flathead, brown, brook, and rainbow trout, gills, crappies, chubs, sheepshead on a spinner.

as i mentioned in the "6 in spring" thread, each year my first bass seems to come on a spinner.

thats awsome!! Wish I would here a pro bass or something talking about how he won the tourny on mepps l haha probaly never happen tho... If I went pro Id use mepps for sure

I'm on the Mepps prostaff, and use them quite a bit. I helped them design a lure years ago. And did win a few local tournaments on it.. but alas it never was produced.. 8-(.. ohh well.. it was fun to be a part of a design team.

Originally Posted By: Laska
thats awsome!! Wish I would here a pro bass or something talking about how he won the tourny on mepps l haha probaly never happen tho... If I went pro Id use mepps for sure

I'm on the Mepps prostaff, and use them quite a bit. I helped them design a lure years ago. And did win a few local tournaments on it.. but alas it never was produced.. 8-(.. ohh well.. it was fun to be a part of a design team.

Dietz, we gotta go fishing sometime, Ive met ya now and I wanna show you some fine river techniques!! Let me know when ur available! (bass, northerns, walleye... anytime)