• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I have been making my own for a few years now. Does anyone have any good recipes for making it? My patch must be fairly mild because my 9 year old daughter helps me dig it and she eats the roots like a carrot.

I have been making my own for a few years now. Does anyone have any good recipes for making it? My patch must be fairly mild because my 9 year old daughter helps me dig it and she eats the roots like a carrot.

Horseradish isn't really hot until it's ground-The longer you leave it sit before adding vinegar the more potent it gets. Vinegar stops the potentency increase. If you do a web search you can find 100's of different recipes. Good luck and do the processing in open air. cryand cry some more when processing.

Juneau

do you grind it and then let it sit? how long should you let it sit to get really hot?

I cut the radish in small cubes and use a food processer add a liitle water while processing -let it sit probably half an hour in garage with window open and then add vinegar and some sugar. This is grin for just basic horseradish. I also make a cream style where cream is used. Put in jars and refridge or you can put in jars and freeze and use up to a year later without it loosing its zest.

here is my process from start to finish. dig it out and wash off most of dirt. i keep it in 5-gal pails, no water. keep inmind thie is done in the course of 3-4 days. i use a pressure washer to clean most of it. after thats done cut leaf ends off finish scraping unwanted stuff off. when all cleaned up wash off good keeping it out of water. letting it soak in water seems to take something away. grind it up. i let set long enough to have a refreshment or 2, in the mean time doing some cleanup. mix the ground radish with salt to your likeing vineger and lemon juice till the juice just starts to run threw a sloted spoon. let set a bit to make sure it is has enough juice. jar up. i let it set in the jars a couple days before freezing. then freeze. after froze put in a double brown bag and prevent exposure to lite as much as possible, this will help prevent from turning brown. enjoy. i have been doing this for about 28 yrs and noone ever told be my horseradish wasnt any good.

Thanks for the info.

I'll tell you my favorite for taste in the stores is Beaver Brand Extra Hot, but the hottest I've found is Silver Spring extra good 'n hot, really opens the sinuses, but has terrible taste...

Any certain type/brand you recommend to grow...I hope to plant some this Spring...want it to taste really good and be pretty hot...

thats a lot of years and obvioulsy you have way more if i come in at a measly 28! smilegrin MOBY RICHARD, mine isnt that hot stuff you can hardly eat, but has great flavor. i started my 2 patches with the tops i cut off. and i do replant them after cleaning them. i have 2 patches and rotate every other year.

Make sure you plant them where you want them. Once planted they are tough to get rid of. I have actually seen them come up through cracks in cement,any parts of roots also grow if you break them off and leave them lay in the garden or till through some. I gave my neighbor at the lake some crowns a few years back and he tried moving the bed 3 years ago and still hasn't got rid of it.. A backhoe is the only way other than chemicals the roots will go down several feet.

Glen I started at a young age helping my parents. crygrin

You could kill Bear, deer, coons, skunks, possum,and anything else, long before this will die.---- A coachroach is said to be able to out live and survive anything!

The only animal that will eat them are HUMANS.

Ya the stuff is really hard to kill or get rid of once you put it some place. We got one plant at least 5 years ago and have tried getting ride of it in some places with no luck. If you leave even the smallest root it will come back. We now have one place down at the river where we let it go wild but we are still trying to get rid of it in the garden.

"i dont know if this is a wives tale or not but i was told you make horseradish in a month with an R in it"

Kind of like watercress, I would assume for some of the same reason with it flowering and getting woody during the warm months.