Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .

I have been making my own for a few years now. Does anyone have any good recipes for making it? My patch must be fairly mild because my 9 year old daughter helps me dig it and she eats the roots like a carrot.

I have been making my own for a few years now. Does anyone have any good recipes for making it? My patch must be fairly mild because my 9 year old daughter helps me dig it and she eats the roots like a carrot.

Horseradish isn't really hot until it's ground-The longer you leave it sit before adding vinegar the more potent it gets. Vinegar stops the potentency increase. If you do a web search you can find 100's of different recipes. Good luck and do the processing in open air. cryand cry some more when processing.

Juneau

do you grind it and then let it sit? how long should you let it sit to get really hot?

I cut the radish in small cubes and use a food processer add a liitle water while processing -let it sit probably half an hour in garage with window open and then add vinegar and some sugar. This is grin for just basic horseradish. I also make a cream style where cream is used. Put in jars and refridge or you can put in jars and freeze and use up to a year later without it loosing its zest.

here is my process from start to finish. dig it out and wash off most of dirt. i keep it in 5-gal pails, no water. keep inmind thie is done in the course of 3-4 days. i use a pressure washer to clean most of it. after thats done cut leaf ends off finish scraping unwanted stuff off. when all cleaned up wash off good keeping it out of water. letting it soak in water seems to take something away. grind it up. i let set long enough to have a refreshment or 2, in the mean time doing some cleanup. mix the ground radish with salt to your likeing vineger and lemon juice till the juice just starts to run threw a sloted spoon. let set a bit to make sure it is has enough juice. jar up. i let it set in the jars a couple days before freezing. then freeze. after froze put in a double brown bag and prevent exposure to lite as much as possible, this will help prevent from turning brown. enjoy. i have been doing this for about 28 yrs and noone ever told be my horseradish wasnt any good.

meat grinder with course screen. helps to have one with electric motor. when done with horseradish throw 2-3 pieces of bread to push the horseradish threw throw bread away.

Thanks for the info.

I'll tell you my favorite for taste in the stores is Beaver Brand Extra Hot, but the hottest I've found is Silver Spring extra good 'n hot, really opens the sinuses, but has terrible taste...

Any certain type/brand you recommend to grow...I hope to plant some this Spring...want it to taste really good and be pretty hot...

thats a lot of years and obvioulsy you have way more if i come in at a measly 28! smilegrin MOBY RICHARD, mine isnt that hot stuff you can hardly eat, but has great flavor. i started my 2 patches with the tops i cut off. and i do replant them after cleaning them. i have 2 patches and rotate every other year.

Ok, thanks for the tips on replanting, I wasn't aware that could be done...I will look for some plants in the spring...oops it is spring, except it is snowing... laugh

Make sure you plant them where you want them. Once planted they are tough to get rid of. I have actually seen them come up through cracks in cement,any parts of roots also grow if you break them off and leave them lay in the garden or till through some. I gave my neighbor at the lake some crowns a few years back and he tried moving the bed 3 years ago and still hasn't got rid of it.. A backhoe is the only way other than chemicals the roots will go down several feet.

Glen I started at a young age helping my parents. crygrin

Wow, EXCELLENT, something I can't kill and keeps coming back!!!

Do any animals like them, like Bears or Deer or Coons or Skunks, etc...

Sorry, I have 0 years experience growing these, so I can't help you lower the average for your years... laugh

You could kill Bear, deer, coons, skunks, possum,and anything else, long before this will die.---- A coachroach is said to be able to out live and survive anything!

The only animal that will eat them are HUMANS.

i dont know if this is a wives tale or not but i was told you make horseradish in a month with an R in it. tyically i do it in the fall sept-oct.

Ya the stuff is really hard to kill or get rid of once you put it some place. We got one plant at least 5 years ago and have tried getting ride of it in some places with no luck. If you leave even the smallest root it will come back. We now have one place down at the river where we let it go wild but we are still trying to get rid of it in the garden.

"i dont know if this is a wives tale or not but i was told you make horseradish in a month with an R in it"

Kind of like watercress, I would assume for some of the same reason with it flowering and getting woody during the warm months.

i dont know if this is a wives tale or not but i was told you make horseradish in a month with an R in it. tyically i do it in the fall sept-oct.

Guess that leaves out May, June, July, and August... laugh

LOL!! laughlaugh i figured thats why. in my vast experience making horesradish i have noticed the longer the roots stay in water the less flavor it has, although its a wee bit easier to grind, IMO.