Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wplatehunter

Oil bath hubs?

10 posts in this topic

I think thats what they are called. I have the ones with oil in them for the bearings. How often do I need to change the oil, and what kind of oil do I use? Thanks

I have a 2006 EZ Loader trailer with oil bath hubs. I had the same questions and e-mailed the factory. They told me that the oil does not need to be changed unless it becomes contaminated. SAE 50W or 90W is recomended, I picked up some 85-90W to have on hand. I love the set up but time will tell if they hold up, I hope for the best.

Might want to ask Oilman this question. Amsoil might have a great oil for your hubs that is better for your bearings.

I had oil bath hubs on my old ranger trailer and they recommened that it be change every year and with 90w oil.

Ranger now recomends straight weight 50 in their oilbath hubs. I was a little surprized at this thinking it would be gear lube but they don't want it for whatever reason. They also do NOT want you to use synthetic. I have heard with synthetic oil there is much more seepage past the seal than with conventional oil.

If I remember right SAE 50 engine oil is the same viscosity as 80-90 gear lube. Somehow they are measured or labeled differently.

I'm not sure if you guys are thinking oil bath hubs are new. They have had oil bath hubs on semi trucks and trailers for many years now. your pickup rear bearings are oil bath but you don't see it because it get the oil from the rear end. I will take oil bath anytime over grease type bearings, you can see if they are getting low on oil. If your oil starts getting milky change oil and put new seals in.

I would recommend servicing oil bath hubs once a year. For a boat trailer Spring is probably the best choice, and since you are in the between season it really is a good time to do it.

Semi's have used them on front axles and trailer axles for many years. Most of them recommend 'use the same oil that is being used in the differentials.'

50 weight motor oil and 90 weight gear oil are virtually the same viscosity. The tests and specifications for the viscosity numbers of motor oil and gear oil are different.

The one I would choose and recommend for a wet hub boat trailer: AMSOIL's Marine Gear Lube 75W/80W-90. It will tolerate up to 10% water in it and not lose lubricating protection - the same lube for your outboard lower unit.