• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jigs I have been making lately!

Starts out with just plane old colors.

Picture012.jpg

Pink over white glow fade.

Picture017.jpg

Black over white fade.

Picture021.jpg

Green chartreuse and orange over white glow.

Picture018.jpg

Pink and orange over yellow chartreuse.

Picture015.jpg

Green chartreuse orange, and black over yellow chartreuse.

Picture016.jpg

Pink over white glow crosshatch fade.

Picture028.jpg

Black over white crosshatch fade.

Picture038.jpg

Metallic colors.

Picture020.jpg

Blue and chrome.

Picture037.jpg

I will add some more when I get them done. Who knows what I

will try next!

I used yellow chartreuse, and white glow powder for base colors on a few of them. The rest of them are all airbrushed, and all of the top colors are airbrushed on. I hand dot all of the eyes in a 2 step process. I finish them all off with Seal-coat from C S because it's water based low to no odor. I can dip them, brush it on, or airbrush it on and it's worm proof so i don't have to worry about the plastics eating away the paint. Before I use the powder, or paint them I clean the jigs with denatured alcohol and wipe them dry with a soft rag. That way I remove anything that is on them from casting, or any oxidization that has started if they have been sitting for a while since being casted. That way I seem to get a good clean finish on them, and the powder and paint adheres better to the jigs. I don't hang my jigs in the oven to cure them. I have made a clamping system so that they stand up when I cure the powder in the oven. That way if there is a little extra powder in runs to the base of the jig and not get the nipples on top of them.

Thanks for the comments! I will add more jigs to this as I get them done and pics taken.

Lm90

Yes I do. I tied up 4 of them. I used the new style live bait jig mold from do-it because I don't like the walleye jig or flat jig, and this jig gives me a smaller profile than a round head jig. I made 1/4(#1), 3/8(#1/0), 1/2(#2/0) and 5/8(#2/0). I'm going to tie up some more with stingers in the wrap when I get time so I don't have to use the stingers that go right on the hook I lose to many that way.

Lm90

First off - awesome paint jobs Lm90!

And here is a basic "how to" I did on bucktails. It should get you headed in the right direction...

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1342724/1

As for style of jig head? You cant go wrong with the plain round head. I have played with most diff styles. The flat heads do come through the water a bit faster if thats what your looking for...

Here's a tip for 2 color powder jigs; Take a hose screen, the type that go into a garden hose and glue it to a stick. Put some powder in it and tap it with your finger over the hot jig. It will sift just enough color to make a nice 2 tone finish.

Jordyn, When you try tying those bucktails, try pulling some of the short hair from the stub end of the clump of hair after you cut it off the tail. You may have to re-trim to get the ends flush again. It makes a lighter dressing with less flare and gives a clean look.

First off I would like to say Thank You to all of you for the great feedback that I have gotten from you all.

It makes it that much more enjoyable to do, and I take pride in peaces I produce (I'm kind of anal retentive about it)I still haven't figured out if that is good or bad.

Walleye4,

I am working on getting some pictures and a video together that will take you from the beginning to the end of my painting process. I will be doing some with a powder base and the rest will be straight air brushed from beginning to end.

I am hoping to post that tomorrow. I just have to figure out the whole Utube thing and a little editing (I'm so lost on that part still)but I will figure it out.

Thanks Again All,

Lm90

new_kid,

All that matters is that you enjoy doing it. Over time you will come up with new ways of doing things. If you stick with it you will come up with your own methods of doing things. The only limitations are the one we place on ourself in our own mind's. The color combinations and processes are limitless.

Did you powder them or dip them?

Enjoy your new hobby or like me obsession!

Lm90

I powdered them and last night i went through and put eyes on all of them i am hopeing that on saturday i can catch a walleye on one of them i think it will be very rewarding to catch fish on jigs that i have made my self