• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

trailer question (width)

Ryan_V

Question

I'm going to be re-wiring my new trailer (with help). I'm looking at the light kits, and I see kits for trailers under 80" and kits for trailers over 80". my bed is 6.5' wide, which is 78". if you measure where the lights go, it would be close to or over 80". what do I use when purchasing a kit??? What do I measure to come up with the number I need?? thanks!!....did I mention I HATE TRAILER WIRING?!?!?!

5 answers to this question

The over 80" kit will have all the usual lights plus a 3 light bar that goes in the center of the rear of the trailer. The under 80" kit will not have this. I would go with the over 80" kit for the few extra bucks. If you are under 80" you won't need this but,I think it's nice to have the extra tail lights in case one of the regular ones quits.

And in case you didn't decide yet, for sure get the LED light kits. A bit more spendy, but well worth it. I just put them on my utility trailer as well as we did the boat trialer a few years ago, and it is much brighter and we don't unplug the boat trailer at all any more. No prob in three years of lots of submerging.

AHA!!! makes sense now. the trailer already has the marker lights and the bar in the middle of the rear. so will the "under 80" kits have the seperate brown wires to go down each side of the frame, or is that only with the "over 80" kits??

Ryan, I'd presume your wheels are wider apart than the house itself, correct? If so, you measure outside of wheel to outside of wheel, It's determined by the absolute maximum width of the unit as towed down the road. The differance between the wiring kits is the 3 marker lights in the center. As far as the seperate brown wire, that's up to the manufacturer, There's no real 'rule'. The kit without, will generally cost you less, but will involve more work on your part. Also, as stated above, go with the extra cost of the LED's now!! A LOT less trouble and way brighter. Phred52

You can just split off your brown wire to go there. I would go LED as well. Also, read the wiring thread that Airjer did. Solder and heat shrink your connections. Takes more time, but it's done right and will last you a while.