Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kevfish1

2004 grand prix starting

11 posts in this topic

Got a 2004 grand prix. when you start it you have to press on the gas pedal. Any ideas what may be wrong?????. It does this about half the time. Its been this way for the past year

fuel pressure regulator?

if its a 3.1 than its located on the fuel rail near the throttle body. Romove the vacuum port and see if there is fuel coming out of the nipple. If there is replace it.

3.8 is either in the middle on the front fuel rail or on the rear fuel rail near the throttle body. Same thing for this one.

Is this something i can get to myself or do i need to bring it in?? What is the fuel rail??

I could not find one on the 3.8l, but this gives you an idea of what to look for (just an idea):

"> " type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Which engine?

3.1 no

3.8 - you'll need a snap ring pliers.

Do these have an IAC that could be stuck closed, then when stepping on the gas it allows air in to the intake?

Could be. I would expect a stall after the start and letting of the gas? Kinda like the dodge trucks!

Guys today my fishing partner was complaining his Grand Am wouldn't start unless he pressed on the gas pedal.

I just sent him the link!

I have same thing on my 98 Malibu (3.1 l). I bought a new regulator yesterday, and will try to fix it this weekend. Thanks for the info!

The condition is referred to as an extended crank. Which means it just takes a lot longer to start. When this happens stop cranking and cycle the key from off to the run position (do not crank), wait 3-5 seconds turn back to off and repeat a couple of times. The last time you turn it to run, then crank it and it should fire up like normal.