• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Do you fish for the fight? Or do you fish for numbers?

Muddog

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For myself I guess I agree with what others have posted. "both", but if I have the kids with numbers are far more important. I always take them panfishing, but now that they are getting older they want to fish for bigger fish.

i love fishing poppers for big bass too. two of my favorites are the "creekchub holographic super knuckle head" and rapala salter skitter pop in silver makeral

as long as the bait is between 5 and 7 inches it should work great for big bass.

but the BEST tecnique for numbers of big bass. is to tie a 2/0 finnese wide gap hook on a 5 foot flourocarbon leader, and hook a 6-8" shiner behind the anal fin and freeline it around shallow cover.

Crappies = reeling in a hand towel!

maybe when ur fishing with a MH or H action rod! HAHA

try tangling with a 2lb+ slab on 2lb line and an Super Ultra light noodle rod, or regular UL.

or use a 2 wt fly rod for the slabs

your thinking will change wink

Well if I had to chose between fight or number I would have to say.....BOTH. In fall I do tend to target larger ones, as well as very early season...during summer I don't get a lot of time to fish because of my job so I would say I go more for numbers.

Quote:
muddog- if you think that taking your time on a lipess crank will help with this dilema, I'm all ears.

As I said before. I don't understand why people keep saying there is problem. I just don't see it and I must have 40-50 lipless crankbait that I use.

For me, I love it when you set the hook and the fish just swims away and your drag starts to scream. All you can do is start the big motor and go after it. 10-15 minutes later you start to think of the net.

Originally Posted By: champion198elite
Originally Posted By: carpmanjake
i never purposely fish for bass under 3 lbs though i do get some every once in a while. my biggest bass last year (and ever) was 6lbs. and the smallest was 2lbs 11oz!
Wow!! Teach me how you do that.

fish for 3 hours a year

lol. try 100+ days on the water laugh

Going big with baits does not eliminate catching small fish, just greatly reduces the number of them you catch. It also may reduce the number of large fish you catch as well depending on conditions. 8" fish will hit 7" baits, it just happens and you end up catching a few.

I personally like to get 1 or 2 in the boat before targeting big fish exclusively.

Guess I never thought about the "fight" or the "numbers". I love to see my kids and grands catch fish. I still get plenty of excitement out of catching. Always usually the us vs. fish as far as bait, lures, and fishing spots. Challenging forsure. We release all the bass, pike and muskies. Keep a few walleye, perch, and crappie to eat. So love the fight and a few too eat makes me a happy fisherperson.

bass.jpg

I fish to fish never thought about a goal to retrieve besides getting a few eaters then continuing on fishing. The act to fish is what drives me and if a big guy comes around all the mary, thats what we all strive for.

Now if you were to break it down to species like Sturgeon, Muskies to Smallmouth yes fight is where it is at.

Going big with baits does not eliminate catching small fish, just greatly reduces the number of them you catch. It also may reduce the number of large fish you catch as well depending on conditions. 8" fish will hit 7" baits, it just happens and you end up catching a few.

I personally like to get 1 or 2 in the boat before targeting big fish exclusively.

very true. it decreases the numbers, but greatly increases the chance of a bigger fish.

big bait does NOT mean big fish. i have caught 2lb and 1lb fish while freelining 6-8" shiners.

i have also caught big bass using tiny baits like ratzos. and other panfish jigs