• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Do you fish for the fight? Or do you fish for numbers?

Muddog

I agree with craigums I like to put the puzzle together and find out what i need to change to catch fish. I like fishing for any type of fish. Just because you wanna catch crappies doesnt mean you should overlook the great other fish that could be biting.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i fish for the fight. thats why i fish for carp bowfin and sucker alot. i do love fishing for crappies for the challenge. but whenever i fish for any species i usually go for trophies. i never purposely fish for bass under 3 lbs though i do get some every once in a while. my biggest bass last year (and ever) was 6lbs. and the smallest was 2lbs 11oz!

Originally Posted By: carpmanjake
i never purposely fish for bass under 3 lbs though i do get some every once in a while. my biggest bass last year (and ever) was 6lbs. and the smallest was 2lbs 11oz!
Wow!! Teach me how you do that.

fish for 3 hours a year

Quote:
For me I love the hook set.. thats my fave!.. I hate to loose fish, so I usually will slightly overpower them.. but, when it comes down to it.. I love the hook set. its why I like pitching so much.. in tight cover.. set the hook!!!!

I find this most interesting " I hate to lose fish, so I usually will slightly overpower them..". Every time I lose a fish I get P,Oed because I was horseing them in. The way I see it, a lighting hooked fish can't pull lose on a light drag but if you have the drag bottoned down, well, you tear the hook out.

Don't get me wrong, I think Yank and crank has it place. Heavy cover and getting the fish out of the school before it spooks the rest of the school are just two reasons. Not always though. I think I now know why there is a Lipless crankbait hookup problem for some people.

Oh and its really fun if you fish for crappies on really light tackle and then once in a while you hook into an ok 2-3 pound northern, then its really fun

You got that right, doesn't get much better than that.

ole

Quote:
For me I love the hook set.. thats my fave!.. I hate to loose fish, so I usually will slightly overpower them.. but, when it comes down to it.. I love the hook set. its why I like pitching so much.. in tight cover.. set the hook!!!!

I find this most interesting " I hate to lose fish, so I usually will slightly overpower them..". Every time I lose a fish I get P,Oed because I was horseing them in. The way I see it, a lighting hooked fish can't pull lose on a light drag but if you have the drag bottoned down, well, you tear the hook out.

Don't get me wrong, I think Yank and crank has it place. Heavy cover and getting the fish out of the school before it spooks the rest of the school are just two reasons. Not always though. I think I now know why there is a Lipless crankbait hookup problem for some people.

muddog- if you think that taking your time on a lipess crank will help with this dilema, I'm all ears.

Originally Posted By: SledNeck
No offense to anyone, but Id rather stay home and watch TV than fish for crappies

oh boy you have problems laugh

haha i love fishing for panfish

tell you what, you can have all the crappies that Im not catching

Well carpman, I hope the secret word contest doesn't have a small fish weekend, because if 2 11 is the smallest you caught last year, you probably aren't gonna do so hot! shocked

if i try for tiny bass ill get some. lol. ive caught a few bass under 2 inches long while fishing for shiners.

Originally Posted By: carpmanjake
i never purposely fish for bass under 3 lbs though i do get some every once in a while. my biggest bass last year (and ever) was 6lbs. and the smallest was 2lbs 11oz!
Wow!! Teach me who you do that.

not very hard to do it. find a good bass area, and freeline big 6-8" shiners, big bass go crazy over them!

backwater areas, canals, lagoons, and marinas, produce the biggest fish year round. even in the heat of the summer, most of my 5 lb fish come from lagoons, and canals. i catch some big ones while freelining shiners on shallow flats, never get very many over 4lbs tho.

my 6lber came out of a deep weedline while float fishing a 7inch shiner.

also, fish BIG topwater baits in the evening around laydowns, weedlines, docks, pags, and offshore humps.

i like using the jimmy houston super spook, or zara mag spook, and supermag spook to get fish over the 4lb range.

Big Baits = Big fish. You keep up the good work CMJ

very true. but i have had the exact opposite happen. one day when a huge cold front hit last fall. i went through my entire tackle box trying to figure out what they would hit. but couldnt figure them out. so i started fishing for panfish with ratso's. on the first cast i caught a 3lb bass! a few casts later a 4lb class fish!