• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Do you fish for the fight? Or do you fish for numbers?

Muddog

Ok, this is a question I just have to ask. Do you fish for the fight? Or do you fish for numbers?

I ask this question because I have been teaching my to boy to use the right tackle for the job when fishing. For example. I take my two boy to the Trout ponds fishing. I use a 9’ 4wt flyrod and my boys use 5wts. When we get a fish on it’s like you tied onto a torpedo WOW them rainbows are fast, fast, fast and put up a fun fight. (fishing for the fight). We look to the guy down the bank. His bobber goes down , he sets the hook the fish pops to the surface and skips across the water as he reels in. (fishing for numbers).

So I ask, Do you fish for the fight? Or do you fish for numbers?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both. I guess I use lighter tackle than most, but I like to catch fish rather than breaking them off. I use a lot of 4 and 6 pound test mono when fishing ultralight stuff, usually only use the heavy stuff for select presentations or tough cover

I fish cause it just feels like the right thing to do.

Im more stressed out fishing than just about anything.

Its like I HAVE to catch them fish.

My kid seems to have fun...well, when Im not critiquing his netting technique.

Yes, sometimes I get outfished.

kab3-1.jpg

Both I guess. Sometimes Im in the mood to get the lunkers. So than looking for the fight. If Im pan fishing, I like pulling them in and throwing them back as fast as possible.

Wherever the action lies! It's hard to beat fighting a five pounder into the boat, but 100 spring crappie in a day sure is fun! As long as it doesn't require sitting around and staring at a bobber, I'm easy to please.

Both! I do use the heavier tackle many times so that when i hook a fish i can get them to the boat as fast as i can. But! grin I love to fish for bass in the evenings with my ultra lite and small surface lures just for the fight!

I like to feel the bite. That is my favorite part of the process. A lot of times I find myself fishing a certain way just because I know if I get a bite I will be able to feel it better than a more productive way. That is a good question. Other than the bite I would say that I like to fish for a midpoint of fight vs. numbers. You are not getting to fight anything if your numbers are 0.

Hiya -

Beerfish has it man. I just like foolin' 'em. Every time you fish it's like putting together a puzzle. But every time you put a puzzle piece into place, the whole picture you're trying to put together, and all the rest of the puzzle pieces, all change completely. I live for that challenge. Actually landing one is almost anticlimactic. I think that's probably why my two favorite fish are muskies and smallmouth bass. Muskies are tough just because the mathematics of the whole game are so astronomically against you, even for a good angler on a good day. Smallmouth bass are so temperamental and fickle that every day is a new challenge where the rules can change on you overnight. One day they're hitting everything that moves, and the next day (or the next minute, hour - whatever) they're scared of their own shadow and it can take hours to figure out what's going to work. Days like that, I can come off the water with 5 fish in the boat, and be on top of the world. Certainly that both fish are spectacular fighters is part of it, but for me, it really is figuring them out and finally fooling them - whether it's bass, muskies, sunfish or carp.

Jwhjr - Funny what you said about dreaming of hooksets. I have two recurring dreams, which I've had most of my life. One is about baseball, for some reason. The other is variations on the same fishing dream. They can occur either in places that are real (the lake my cabin is on, which I've fished since I could hold a rod) or in bizarre, purely fantastic places. I one hooked a huge muskie under one of the goalposts in the Metrodome, which was full of water... The problem is, regardless of where the dream takes place, when I get the big bite, I set the hook - REALLY set the hook. My hookset is always off to my right - right where my wife is next to me. I've positively clocked her more than once. She's good humored about it - eventually. The good news is she recognizes it as a sign that I need to go fishing, and soon...

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

A friend and I have had this discussion several times in the past. I guess when you look at our tackle selection, it is geared towards the proper presentation but also with the idea of all advantages in our favor. A 7' MH rod with 30lb braid to catch on average a 2.5lb fish is a little over kill. Very effective, very efficient. On average, how long does it take to land a LM on that tackle. We figure it to be less than 10 seconds on a small fish. Even on a bigger fish it is less than 20 seconds. If you boat flip them I bet it is less than 5 seconds. Is it fun, yes, especially if you are fishing for numbers. But there is not much in terms of fight. You muscle them up and out. It is the tournament mentality, as quickly and efficiently as possible with the hope of putting the best 5 or 8 in the boat as quickly as possible with the amount of time you have. I am trying to get away from that mentality when fun fishing. I find it to be more fun to catch some of those same fish with a little lighter rod and line to enjoy the fight. I really do enjoy bluegills and crappies on UL tackle, for the fight and a fish fry.

Size and fight over numbers every day I am on the water, weather its panfish or muskie I am always on the hunt for big fish, I dont fish any lake that I dont think has much potential for big fish. Numbers are great if the size comes with it, but I will admit I have many skunked days because of the choices I make to increase my odds of getting big fish.

I've been dreaming of that hook set lately...

Ok I got a funny story from last summer... My buddy and I were fishing my favorite little lake X and just NAILED the bass this particular day. Must have gotten about 20 fish OVER 18'', So many we got sick of taking pictures. Well after the sun goes down we head back to my cabin for a few adult beverages and remanice about how many fish we caught. Well I end up going to bed quite late and feeling very good. My mind begins to drift off into a dream of me sitting on the lake setting the hook on all those bass. Well during the dream my arm actually jerk-baits in a hook setting motion while i'm sleeping and I wake myself up haha. Kinda like the dog thats sleeping but his legs are running from the dream he is having LOL. Sorry just had to share that.

The reason I fish is because I like trying to "put the puzzle together" Its the mental aspect that I really enjoy. When you have a plan and it just works out.

lmao of at RK, I have done that same thing... one time my wife kicked me in the back about 5 times cause we just got a kitten and the darn thing kept attacking her feet, so in her dream it attacked her and she kicked the [PoorWordUsage] out of it... only it was me she was kicking... I was sore for a week, so sometimes I just reach over and punch her on the arm when she is sleeping, then act like I was sleeping grin