• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

BUYING A ICE-AUGER HELP!!!

Question

10 answers to this question

I ran an Eskimo Shark with a 8" auger for about 8 or 9 years. It was SLOW going, but it was better than a hand auger. I picked up a Jiffy 2 hp last year with the Deicer blade. Starts an runs great, cuts even better. My dad and my brother both have Jiffy's that are at least 10 years old. I used my dad's for a couple of monthsa couple of season's ago, which convinced me they are the best.

I've been running the same Jiffy {model 30) for the last 15 years and last year is the first year I had to get anything done to it--got the carb rebuilt. They are very reliable and run great under all weather conditions. Another thing--You don't have to worry about dull blades. I've never sharpened or replaced my blade and still manage to cut 50-100 holes each outing without trouble. As much as I like my 3hp, I would probably consider a 2hp if I ever bought a new one--only because of the weight-factor.

jiffyTime

You'll get people who swear by Jiffy and those who swear by Strikemaster. They both use the Tecumseh motors, so they're mostly alike in that way. You can't go wrong getting either one.

I have a 3hp Strikemaster with a 10-inch auger. I like the extra room in the hole and I don't much notice the increased weight over a 2hp, since it's either in the truck or I'm pulling it strapped to the top of my Fish Trap II.

Only problem with the 10-inch is, if you use Frabill's 10-inch round insulated tip-ups, you don't have any ice left to lay the tip-up on, it's all hole.

One note: If you go used, and there are lots of great used augers out there on great deals as guys upgrade, make sure if you get a Strikemaster that it's got the powerpoint blade system (a center diamond-shaped drill blade along with the two side blades) instead of simply the two-blade system. Strikemaster upgraded the system two winters ago. It's not an issue with the Jiffy.

Good luck and have a blast.

I'd also like a Jiffy just fine. Lots of guys I know have them and they're great.

------------------
Steve Foss
Superior, Wis.
[email protected]

Three years ago my bought me the Lazer Mag 3000. I have yet to sharpen the blades, I do put the blade cover on everytime I'm done using it. I like it, cuts good and not a burden. i have the 8" model. I'd buy another one. Bill Turck St Cloud

Two years ago I bought the biggest (10") 3hp Strikemaster had. Really had lots of problems. I contacted Strikemaster and they suggested maybe I wasn't big enough to handle the larger models (I told them I was 62) and should try a smaller one. (I could probably pick that turkey up over my head and body slam him) Fleet returned my money.

Last year was at Reeds and bought a Jiffy Legend 10" and it is really a winner. Punches holes fast and easy. Just pulled it out of storage and cranked it right up.

So Jiffy gets my vote smile.gif

My buddy bought the 3hp 10" strikemaster and I was surprised how poorley it cut. The auger would get jammed in the hole while cutting and we'd constantly need to stop and restart drilling. Our technique could have been flawed, but I expected more from all the great things I've heard about strikemaster.

Todd