• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sharpening STX Blades

crothmeier

Question

Mine are iffy at best and Im headed to LOTW thursday after work, besides ordering them from jiffy noone around her has them out anymore, everyone has switched to open water displays. How easy are they to sharpen, or touch up. I will be buying a new set for next year, i'd just like to get throught this weekend.

Any advice/instruction would be great!

9 answers to this question

I have a stealth, but I would imagine STX blades would be about the same to sharpen. I use a whetstone and oil and they are good and sharp in about 10 minutes. I have only sharpened it once in six years and that was because I was bored.

I know it doesnt help you now but in the future ALWAYS have a extra set of blades. You never know when you will be on a trip and cut a hole that has a frozen in pop can, sand from a mud flap or something else that will dull or ruin your blade.

I would think a fine file and or wetsone will do the trick.

If it were me I would hurry up and order a set from Jiffy or a big box retailer. They can usually over night at a price of course.

Remember there is a 3 year replacement and sharpening guarantee on all STX Jiffy blades...by Jiffy!

Touching them up yourself is a snap, wet stone or a oil stone is a good way. Also be sure to touch up the Center point with a file being careful to maintain the pitch.

Thanks everyone for the info. I will definitly have the extra set for next year, And these blades are on the end of their 4th season so they have lasted as long as one could ask for. Im having someone that has sharpened these before touch them up for me.

I tried the box stores, everyone had them put away.

(See if this proves useful for you.)

The Razors Edge in a Jiffy

by Backwater Eddy

You would be amazed at how a quick touch up of the two cutting edge surfaces on an ice auger will help the total operational performance of your auger.

A good file is critical and well worth the investment to tune up the edges effectively. I carry a 6" diamond impregnated fine grain file to make for quick work of touching up the main ice blade and the center point.

The key to the whole process is to maintain the factory angle of the cutting edge. What you do is basically mill the cutting edge surfaces to regain or restore the original factory edge.

Start by laying the file flat on the true surface of the cutting edge. Be sure the file spans the entire surface of the blade. This is to make darn sure the edge is even all the way across the blades entire cutting surface. This is very important to insure a true edge. Just as a professional mill would accomplish if you were to send it in to be re-tooled.

With even flat pressure stroke the file up the surface of the blade. One short stroke at a time you begin to see the surface develop, increase the stroke length until the entire surface exhibits a consistent even sheen. You may do this right on the auger, as I often do, or remove the main blade and do it in a vise. If you do not use a vice wear a pair of leather gloves or you may get a nasty cut before your finished.

The center point is the same thing although the surface you need to mill is much narrower and tougher to keep the file exactly flat. What works for me is to apply light pressure with one hand while working the file upward with the other hand. You accomplish this by stroking the file up the narrow edge of the centering point in the same direction as the shaft of the auger. Remember most metal files are designed to function in only one direction, you should stroke the edge forward only.

You will notice the cutting edge surface slowly plain to a flat smooth cutting edge. Slow, flat, and even is much better then quick and sloppy.

Once the true edge has been re-established it is short work to touch it up again between outings. Just a few strokes of the file and it will cut like a hot razor through butter.

This method is for flat surface cutting edges only. Swept or tapered blades need to be placed in a jig to get them correct. A much trickier process, however not impossible if you take time to build the jig required. This is one big reason I remain a fan of the Jiffy ice auger is their ease of maintenance. It is a simple process to touch them up almost anywhere and anytime.

To insure your performance on the ice this season is at it's very best. Be sure to take the time to up your odds by performing the basic maintenance needed. It will get you on the fish faster, and keep you on the fish tell your ready to call it a day.

Ed Carlson

"Backwater Guiding"