• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any Suggestions Where to Test Drive a Boat

NAG

I am selling my boat this upcoming weekend and the guy would like to test drive it before we close the deal. Does anyone know of a good place to get it on the water around the cities? I know it is early, but just seeing if anyone has any suggestions or if I have to wait a couple weeks.

If you can't get on the water, in your Purchase Agreement set aside some $$$ based upon a positive water test to be done at a certain date. That dollar amount should be enough to cover any minor issues that come up motor related. You collect all the money up front except for the money that was set aside. The buyer doesn't take delivery until the water test is done. At that point, the remaining money is released and both parties go away happy. That's what I would insist on if I was the buyer. It really protects you as the seller as well down the road in the event an issue comes up with the boat.

The stretch of river in Elk River is a prop eater. Good portion of the river 10 miles north and south of there is less than two feet deep. Don't test it in that stretch. Best bet is to trailer it to Hidden Falls boat ramp on Pool 2 of the Mississippi. Launch and give it the test there. That or wait a week for some smaller lakes to open up. It wont be long.

You can barrel test it and run the motor in a barrel and let them see how it runs. If hard pressed then I'd look to the rivers near you depending on the current and debris and such or like somone else has said put some money by the wayside and wait out the sale untill they can testdrive it. Rivers are going to be tough right now due to the flow volumes and the debris both seen and hidden so that may not be the best test right now either but if he just wants to see it run then put the muffs on or barrel test it for him. If you have a bill of sale from the last time the motor was maintained, that may help sway the buyer as well. Just some thoughts.

Tunrevir~

I visited most of the river ramps around the metro this last weekend. They all looked fine but there was far more debries floating above the dam then down by the hidden falls launch so I would go to there for less chance of hitting a floater. Also had lot of rain this week may change things.

Hidden Falls is a tricky landing with high water because it sits in the middle of an eddy. Watergate Marina is about a mile downstream & might be a better option because it's protected from the current. It'll cost you a few bucks but it's worth it. There were lot's of boats in that area of Pool 2 last weekend. Keep an eye out for debris & ice chunks once you're on the river though.