• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Minnesota Laws on Carrying Handguns in the woods??

I recently purchased my first handgun(XD .40 ACP), and was wondering what the laws are in minnesota for carrying it afield. I have yet to get my Carry Permit(though I plan to in the future), but would like to Carry while I am in the woods doing preseason archery scouting. I also plan to get into the BWCA later this summer and would like to have it with. Do I need to have a Carry Permit if I only have it loaded and on my hip when I'm "In the field"? I read the DNR hunting regs, and it says you don't need the permit if you have it in the field to "Hunt" or "Target shot", but I won't be shooting? Can anyone clear this up for me(when I can and can't have it afield)? Thanx!!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well as I know of you can not bring it into the boundary waters. I've been up over 10 times and they have always told me that I can not have it in there. Do they check you No but i think it would be a bad thing to get caught with one. Now on the carrying in the field, you are carrying to shoot if you have to and you are going into the woods do to hunting. I have never been bother when stopped by either a warden or a CO. Someone else may know for sures.

But if I'm doing preseason scouting(say August) for Bow season, thats not technically hunting. Is it still legal? I suppose I could carry a target and say I'm target shooting if I get stoppped, haha! I've also seen posts on the web of people taking handguns into the BWCA. I checked the BWCA HSOforum and the only regs i see on firearms is it's illegal to discharge them within a certain yardage of campfires. The guys that were charged with firing guns in the BWCA last year were only charged with terroristic threats and endangering people, not actually having the guns there. So that leads me to believe it is legal to have them up there??

Ya you could bring a target but watch where you are bringing targets. Most public land doesn't allow target shooting. I believe it is legal to have it in the woods with you. Are you scouting deer or bear, and are you where there are predators. If so then bingo you have the right to protect yourself. As for the bwca maybe you can. Maybe it is, all I know is they always ask.

I talked to my buddy who's a cop. He looked up in his Statutes book and it is legal to carry anywhere that it's legal to hunt(basically outside city limits) so long as you carry it in the open(not concealed). He double checked with the sheriff's dept while at work and they confirmed. You can carry without a permit as long as it can be seen and you are in an area that is legal to hunt. Also, from what he told me it's legal to carry in the BWCA, but I will double check with my uncle who's a ranger there. wink

Just remember don't conceal it have it out in the open on your hip. If you get caught concealing it you have really big problems without a permit.

I believe that's bull. I'd like to see the law that supports the opinion that you cannot carry it concealed afield.

I won't get into the situations of carrying with a CCP becuase the folks that have one already know.

While in an motorized vehicular it is just like any other firearm, unloaded and cased. A holster isn't a case btw.

Yes you can bring it into the BWCAW.

For hunting, as long as it is a legal caliber you can take it along.

Yes you can carry but it shouldn't be covered up unless you have a carry permit. If that is your first handgun it's worth taking the carry course. The course instructors are well educated in law enforcement and there is lots of good legal info that come w/ it and then you have the option of transporting your handgun as you see fit. You can carry in the BWCAW, but a guy on the portage w/ pistol on his hip might make rangers/other canoers a little nervous, a permit would offer a little more discretion.

I usually do a little archery scouting in the spring too, I normally just throw a pistol in my backpack, its always cased and unloaded. So technically its concealed but not loaded, I think I am legal but someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Many places out there that offer the training. Class requirements mandate that there is both classroom instruction along with a range session. Class I took was 50 rounds, but probably varies; not sure if there is a required minimum. Class including range session was approx 6 hrs. for me.

Bear: As long as you aren't in an area that prohibits firearms, no problems. Cased and unloaded, you are fine; one fine point though (to be picky), don't have the ammo IN the case with the gun.

Ok so I just spoke with my buddy who is a cop today. On the topic of having your gun afield its fine anywhere that you can hunt. It does have to be out in the open, and not be concealed. Can be loaded while you have it with you on your hip chest or leg. Oh and on the uncased in your vehicle topic. He said that most cops feel that it wouldn't hurt to have it out. It's not guns that kill people it people who kill people.

"""You can carry in the BWCAW, but a guy on the portage w/ pistol on his hip might make rangers/other canoers a little nervous, a permit would offer a little more discretion.""""

Considering the last uncontrolled terroristic escapade launched in the BWCA.Even tho the individuals have been brought to justice we have entered a time were personal protection is required. Being subjected to actions as such are avoidable.

Yes defense may have escalated that situation but IF the assault would have elevateded to a rape,ect personal discretion and protect would have been required.....

Also take in consideration the increasing humanization of black bears in the surrounding areas.The media controlled "canine incident" in Canada's portion to the north.

My 44 goes with me every time I venture out only in respect to the boyscout motto"Be prepared"...

Never deny yourself the right to protect. I would agree that the discretion of a CC permit would be best in respect to"""""rangers/other canoers a little nervous"""

All I ask is that someone present the MN statute that would deny me the right to carry my handgun concealed while afield. I could be wrong but I'm betting that it cannot be found.

Minnesota Statute 624.714 Subd.1(a) is the law that makes it illegal to have a pistol in a public place. I think we can agree on that. Then you look to see the following:

Public Place defined - Minn. Stat. §624.7181 Subd. 1 ©. means property owned, leased, or controlled by a governmental unit and private property that is regularly and frequently open to or made available for use by the public in sufficient numbers to give clear notice of the property's current dedication to public use but does not include: a person's dwelling house or premises, the place of business owned or managed by the person, or land possessed by the person; a gun show, gun shop, or hunting or target shooting facility; or the woods, fields, or waters of this state where the person is present lawfully for the purpose of hunting or target shooting or other lawful activity involving firearms. See State v. DeLegge, 390 N.W.2d 10 (Minn. Ct. App. 1986), which holds that it can include an area on private property such as the driveway to a home. That interpretation does not apply if it is the suspect’s residence. A public place includes a hallway in a secured apartment building, State v. Hicks, 583 N.W. 2d 757, (Minn. Ct. App. 1998).

So, for a start, I don't see an exception for being 'afield.'

Can you point to a law or case that creates that excpetion?

I find this discussion interesting, in large part because of all the variety of opinions contained in it. I'm not sure that I would rely on the type of advice you get when you read something like 'my dad's friend who was a cop', or what you saw on COPS on Fox TV. I would like some stronger authority for the positions taken.

Not meaning to pick on you Bob, but you did issue the challenge.

Tom

Quote:
but does not include: a person's dwelling house or premises, the place of business owned or managed by the person, or land possessed by the person; a gun show, gun shop, or hunting or target shooting facility; or the woods, fields, or waters of this state where the person is present lawfully for the purpose of hunting or target shooting or other lawful activity involving firearms.

Right here. From the definition of a public place you can see that public place does not include woods, fields, or waters where a person is present lawfully...

I see no part that says it is required that I must display my handgun unless I have a permit.

Remember, our law IS NOT a conceal law. It is a possession law. Concealment is a choice not a requirement. I will believe that until someone can find a statute stating otherwise. How am I misinterpreting this?

I'm not trying to be argumentive. I just believe I'm correct and I'd like to be shown where I'm not because if I am incorrect, I'm also illegal.

Thanks,

Bob next time your out with a concealed weapon without the permit hunting,scouting,or whatever you like to do and run into a conservation officer tell him you are carrying and see what happens and then report back to use so we know the real statue and if it really is legal.

Quote:
or other lawful activity involving firearms

Okay. I will keep going. Carrying a handgun out in the woods or afield is a lawful activity involving a firearm, is it not?

It wasn't illegal to do that before the carry law and it isn't today either. I can take a firearm (rifle, shotgun, or handgun) with me while camping, hiking, hunting, or photographing in the woods or afield and there is no law broken that I am aware of.

Bob

Ok so my buddy is a present day cop and he say You can have your pistol with you without a cc permit only where you can legally hunt. That also went for a legal place of practice shoot.Now here's the thing, you can not have it concealed at any time without a cc permit. As for hiking or in the woods, photographing, and camping if you can't hunt the land you can not carry it at all once again without a cc permit.