Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
walleyeking19

Road Kill

44 posts in this topic

I was driving home today and i saw 2 dead deer and a racoon on the side of the road. So i was thinking what is the biggest animal you have hit with a car? I've been lucky enough to only hit a crow but my dad has hit a horse and a deer and my grandpa hit a moose. So lets hear your stories.

Not the biggest, but the most unique was a porcupine. I was coming around a corner, and it was the lumbering prickly mass, or the greasy ditch.

I decided to stay on the road. It was quite the speed bump.

Most unusual? A fisher; the critter not the person.

Biggest? Deer, of course.

Hit 5 deer in my life, biggest was a 200 lb 8 pointer at 70 mph. That was no fun.

My brother once took out a whole family of racoons in the middle of a small bridge.

Q. Why did the chicken cross the road?

A. To prove to the racoons that it could be done.

I was the passenger in a early 70's Camaro when we hit a Doe at 130+ my gawd what a mess, then as passenger again with another doe we hit when the driver was sleeping at the wheel sleep , she had 3 fawns in her at the time, man that was ugly and it killed the subaru too.

my cousin cam upi over a hill one day in high school, had a heard of cows right in the middle. she aimed for the one standing alone and away from group. bad number on the cow and the car. she was alright no injuries. Luckily they have a low center of gravity unlike a moose!

Great thread, king! I suspect we've all had our encounters.

I was driving north of Harvey, North Dakota through a ground blizzard and a jackrabbit that was running from my right side toward the road hit the road edge, saw the car, jumped as high as it could to try to clear the car and ended up smacking the windshield right in front of my face.

The whole windshield buckled but held, with just a silver dollar-sized hole in it, and the jack limped off into the ditch. I limped back to town. I was driving the laid-out pages of a weekly Harvey newspaper I worked for to the Rugby printer, so I got back to town, switched vehicles and got the paper to the press on time.

I saw the jack coming and figured it would stop or veer away. Right, like they ever do. I braked at the last second, so instead of hitting the passenger-side window or the righthand edge of the windshield as it would have had I just kept going, it hit right in front of me. Or if I'd braked a split second earlier, it would have sailed over the hood in front of the windshield (as though in slow motion) and I'd have missed it.

It was just after sunrise, Christmas Eve morning, 1993.

Twice, I've been a passenger in vehicles that have hit deer (no people hurt). Three times, people who have borrowed my vehicles have hit deer with them. So far I've never hit anything bigger than that jackbunny (knock on wood). When I lived in N.D. or high up in the Colorado Rockies and had a rifle in the rear-window rack of my pickup, several times I saw others smack wildlife and keep on going, and I pulled over to put the animal out of its misery. Deer, porcupine, racoons. A shovel in the back of the pickup pushed them way down off into the ditch so the scavengers wouldn't themselves later become roadkills.

I live in moose country now. If I smacked a moose at highway speeds, I wouldn't be alive to post the story in here.

missed a horse buy inches while towing the boat. decapitated a small owl with the windshield wiper. took out a pigeon with the side mirror. hit a raccoon with the dump truck( not much left) saw a semi next to me take out a doe at about 70 and i got some spray.

Hit some geese once. Was in a van with guys in a band. We hit two deer at the same time. One head was seen going down each side of the van. Got out and there were no deer to be seen and only a small speck of blood on the bumper.

Hit two animals in my life...a rabbit with my car, and I hit a deer with my snowmobile. Weird thing...I brought the rabbit to a vet and it lived, the deer wasn't so lucky! Nearly crashd my truck trying to miss the rabbit. My sled didn't fare so well, but luckily I was untouched.

A friend and I were comming south out of Mora, on #65, comming home from a good day of grouse hunting up by McGregor.

We were talking and driving the speed limit (140 mph) nah, 65 mph and it was just getting dark.

A few miles south of town, like it dropped out of the sky, a 6 point buck appeared square in front of my little Ford Bronco II, "Blam" I hit the deer without ever breaking....it was like running into another car! My friend smacked his head against the windshield and knocking him out!

In a split second, my nice clean little truck was a steaming, rattling, buckled and bent piece of junk. I think that deer was dead before he ever slid to a stop in the ditch.

I reported the accident and got permission to take the deer. My friend and a stranger that pulled up on the road, went down and dressed the thing....I wasn't having anything to do with that sucker for wrecking my truck!

I called my son and he came up from the cities to get us. Him and my friend threw the deer into the back of his truck and we threw everything else of value into the cab and home we went.

Heres the really bad part.....I forgot I had put full insurance coverage on the truck! I thought I had minimum no fault on it and I wound up selling it to a guy for next to nothing! What a dork!

I just thought of another unique one that happened to me. Another guy and and I were driving down a long straight stretch section of highway. We noticed a large Great Gray Owl perched on top of one of the power poles. As we got closer we were fixated on it. Then all the sudden it kind of lept off and made this long swoop towards the road and smack dab into the truck grill, it never flapped a wing.

It was almost like it was trying to off itself. Somehow it was still alive and we called a local friend who worked for the DNR and I think they were able to save it.

Deer for me. I was able to almost come to a complete stop before hitting it, but still took out a headlight in the process.

Had a cat run out in front of me and under the car also had a Sea Gull hit the windshield. darnedest thing I seen tho was we were following my daughter a couple years ago and a rabbit ran out in the road, she didn't run over it, but it ran in to her tire and when it hit it went flying up in the air about 10 feet and hit the ground. It didn't kill (at least on the spot) but the thing was definitely dazed.

I haven't hit anything big yet. I got my roadkill start early. 10 minutes into my first behind-the-wheel driving class, a woodchuck ran out in front of me. It lost smile

Deer for me, on the morning after Senior Prom, at age 17. I swear, no drinking, no speeding, no nothing bad that night, but as I dropped her off at home about 5 am (we watcvhed sunrise at some park...), and was heading home myself, a doe jumped right out in front of me in Oakdale and I smacked it with my Dad's Buddy's brand new Delta 88... didn't even have plates on it yet...

I drove up to the "fishing trip" that afternoon, where Perry (our buddy) and my Dad were, and told him the story. He said "did either of you get hurt?" I said no. He said "Did anybody else get hurt?" I said No. He said, good, let's catch some fish and we'll take care of the car when we get home.

What a great guy and great friend. Sure do miss those guys...

saw a semi next to me take out a doe at about 70 and i got some spray.

That spray could have been skunk!! sick

I am fortunate that the biggest thing I have hit is a coyote. It was -20 and the poor bugger come running across US 53 just north of Duluth. The plastic piece under my bumper shattered because of the temp.

My wife has hit four deer. She drives from Babbitt to Finland to go to work. She has been lucky enough (knock on wood) not to have hit a couple of moose. She has come around a corner a couple of times in the winter to have one knelt down or laying in the road licking the salt. crazy

2 deer, several dumb hen pheasants, 1 mourning dove, 1 Hun, 1 mallard hen (flew out of the ditch and hit the windshield), countless raccoons, opposums, squirrels, cottontails, 1 skunk, 3 cats and many striped gophers. My favorite road kill story happened when coming down Hwy 13 south of Waseca one afternoon a few years ago. A red-tailed hawk was on the side of the road and took off about 100 yards ahead of me with something still wriggling clutched in its talons. It wasn't gaining altitude fast enough to get out of the way of my pickup and as I hit the brakes and braced for impact, the hawk suddenly jettisoned it's payload, resulting in a striped gopher splatted squarely in the middle of the windshield. Gopher's day went from bad to worse. Just glad that hawk didn't end up in my lap. grin

I'm driving home one evening with the HiWay Patrol on my rear-end so I'm takin er kinda easy. 'Bout 1/4 mile ahead I see a rooster on the side of the road. Sure nuff, he takes off, don't quite get enough air and WHAM!!! off my windsheild, over the roof and smacks the cop car behind me. He pulls me over and gives me a ticket.

I'm driving home one evening with the HiWay Patrol on my rear-end so I'm takin er kinda easy. 'Bout 1/4 mile ahead I see a rooster on the side of the road. Sure nuff, he takes off, don't quite get enough air and WHAM!!! off my windsheild, over the roof and smacks the cop car behind me. He pulls me over and gives me a ticket.

What was the ticket for???