Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Juneau4

SCAM WARNING

11 posts in this topic

This morning I received a phone call that was telling me that 3 and 4 years ago I had been defrauded of $390 out of my bank account. All they needed was some information from me and they would then return the money to my account. Name of bank, Account number, my age,ect.

After several questions from me they hung up--I then called the sheriff and found out I wasn't the first and it appears common. THEY ARE TARGETING SENIOR CITIZENS WARN YOUR PARENTS! You would have to have heard the whole conversation and lack of answers--- many elderly people can be taken.

Thanks Juneau4. I copied your post and emailed to my folks.

Scumbags!

Here is my philosophy on giving out info. I never give anyone who calls any info, period. I don't care if it was the president of the good old USA, I always get a call back number and go check on it or have them send me their business info.

Had a collection agency try to get credit card numbers from me probably 20 years ago and I told him send me something official. He got POed and accused me of trying to yank his chain. As calmly as I could at that moment I told him I had no idea who the $%^& he as there was no Freakin way he was getting my credit card number without an official document in the mail.

Yeah if people over the phone ask for any personal info, I demand to know who they are. If I don't know the company or organization, I refuse to give them any info. If they need personal info from me before they explain more to me, I give them bogus info.

You would be surprised at the number of people calling that actually believe they reached you while your living in New Mexico with a 952 area code.

You never give info to someone who calls you. Banks won't do that. If they do, they have all your information. Always ask for a call back number as Upnorth said.

Great info on this thread. Hope it prevents some of the scams.

If you think about it, an institution that called YOU about an old account YOU had at a bank shouldn't have to ask you for the information. If it truly was a bank that you have done business with, they would already have that information and wouldn't have to ask you for it.

I never commit to anything over the phone and never give personal information unless I initiated the call.

Bob

Exactly, anyone whom you are banking/doing business with should already have that information. Otherwise tell them you'll go to the nearest branch and get it straightened out. I heard that with the last wave of rebate checks last summer, people were calling up claiming to be IRS and trying to get personal info. I guess I have been fortunate and never gotten those type of calls, I can see though how getting caught off guard by the call and falling into the trap.

everytime you turn around, the crooks come up with a new way to cheat honest hard working folks out of their money.

and here I sit with bated breath waiting for one of those calls so I can take that can of "Airhorn" and blow it in thier ear

and here I sit with bated breath waiting for one of those calls so I can take that can of "Airhorn" and blow it in thier ear

thats good grin

You don't want one.