• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

NASCAR - Why?

HOF#13

WARNING: LONG POST: NEED TO RANT:

Over the course of the last couple of years, I have become increasingly critical of NASCAR for the quality of the product they are putting out there every Sunday...Typically boring races, 1 or 2 driver's dominating the field, little passing, and just basically little or no "real racing".

I was excited about Bristol. I thought there could never be a "typical" NASCAR race there. WRONG. What a boring 500 lap game of follow the leader. I am now completely fed up with NASCAR...this has pushed me over the edge.

Why is NASCAR so ignorant as to what they are doing to the sport? I know the answer..money. They are still making way too much of it.

Anyhow, to make myself feel better, I am sharing with you my simple ideas that I think will help make the racing...well...racing again. Let me know what you think, and feel free to add suggestions of your own.

1) Get rid of the wing. Put the spoiler on the car and give them more downforce to work with.

2) Give teams more flexibility in "tweaking" the car. I know there has to be a limit here, but I think they went to far and the teams are currently too limited in what they can do.

3) Get rid of lap down cars on the inside lane on restarts. I honestly can't believe they still do this. Rediculous. Every restart should be double file in order of your current position. The lap down cars can battle in the back of the pack, where they should be, for the lucky dog. Then front runners can battle front runners, and the lap down cars can battle with each other in the back, out of the front runners way. I hate seeing the 2nd - 10th place cars having to battle lap down traffic on restarts while the leader drives off into the sunset.

Anyhow...that's it for now. Be sure to add your comments and suggestions!

yea they need to give them more flexiablitly with the cars and interveiws. like when jr. said the s-word they took points from him and ran him out of the chase. that was dumb. let it go and let the drivers say whats on there mind like the old days. let them go at it a little bit when there mad at each other. what back in the day with jr. thats what i wish it was like.

You had tickets and didn't go?!?!?! Man....I bet you were kicking yourself, especially the way Shrub dominated the race. That's one race I'd love to go to. Bristol is one of the holy grail of tracks!

You guys are all right about what to do. I was a hardcore NASCAR fan for 15 years but have been boycotting it the last couple of years. I've grown so tired of hearing about "the show". They have to put on a good "show" It's not a show, it's a race and until they quit manipulating the way races end and let racers be racers I'll continue to boycott them! I'm not saying that they are fixing races, but as Junior said in an interview, they are affecting the end of races to try to make them better. They are throwing cautions for no apparent reason and penalizing guys for being passionate about their sport. It's gotten too big and they've forgotten why people started to watch races, the competition!

I will probably catch all kinds of grief but we had this discussion in the boat a couple years ago, and as long as we are talking radical ideas:

Move the Daytona 500 to November and make it a winner-take-all championship race.

The season championship seems sometimes like an afterthought after February. Fan interest goes down considerably after about week 5 (read the posts on this board). It just feels like there is nothing to look forward to. Make it so the chase is a way of locking in to the championship race, and come up with a formula for points/final race finish to determine a champion.

The World Series is not going on in baseball now before the season, and the NFL does not begin a season with the Super Bowl.

Just two cents worth of nonsense.

Thanks for reading.

DD

ya i kinda agree i mean i know wins start you out alittle better in the chase i think an extra 10 points for each win

but still thses first 26 races if you are the 48 24 99 18 knowing you probably can make the chase if you are not spot on to win how hard do u try take the top 5 and call it a day

i'm not sure what the answer is but i agree spice it up somehow

the only thing i would say bout deciding it at daytona

is to many things can happen there that out of your control

maybe have it as one of the chase races

i dunno i know i use to never miss a race tape them or what ever but 2 summers ago i put a rv up on winnie and havnt seen a race on sunday since watch victory circle sunday night to kinda keep up

Quote:
Move the Daytona 500 to November and make it a winner-take-all championship race.

That is a horrible idea! Daytona is a crud shoot! Maybe you do, but I don't consider winning the daytona 500 a HUGE deal. I'm not saying it is not important, but its not the greatest thing ever. To win at Daytona you need about 40% car 30% skill and 30% luck.

New car = Horrible racing. My brother made a good point the other day. The COT is supposed to be waaaay safer then the old car, yes? Well the reason it is so safe is becasue no one can get close enough to another car to wreck jk. Seriously, though, yesterdays race was by far the most entertaining this year so far. I'm dreading Texas, though. I was at that very race last year and I [PoorWordUsage] near fell asleep it was so boring. This car gets the drivers spread out so fast. Sometimes a driver can catch the car up front, but passing that car is a completely different story. Last time I checked passing was a big part of racing, now its almost a miracle if someone has their car set up well enough to pass a couple cars. NASCAR is very boring to me so far this year.....I dunno what to do. Just gotta wait for Daytona and Talledega, I guess. Those are the only fun tracks to watch anymore.

Maybe part of the problem is the TV coverage!

I don't want to watch the lead car go round and round.

They need to spend more time following others cars that are "on the move", so the viewers can actually see some passing/driving other than the lead dog cutting clean laps.