• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

rod for casting crankbaits

Sabaskong

OK bass dudes, I'm a walleye guy and am done casting cranks with spinning gear and figured you guys would know this best. I'm getting a Curado 200E7 and was wondering what is the best power and action baitcast rod to cast cranks. I was thinking a medium power, fast action in a 7ft? BTW, I am a braided line guy and was thinking 14lb test would do ok. One more question, is the E7 a better choice than the E5? Thanks much for any help..

Lots of great information for exactly what you're wanting to know in this thread.

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ub...ng_#Post1775423

Check it out. Either way a lot of guys have different preferences so consider taking a test drive of a couple rods with Dean or something if you are able.

I would actually prefer the E5 for cranks. I myself use an older Curado 200B38 which is a 3.8:1 gear ratio. I like slower reels for cranking because a big lipped crank is going to put a lot of torque on your reel and your arms. Not as much as pulling a double cowgirl for muskies, but it is a lot easier with a slower reel IMO.

ouch, i don't need the feeling of throwing double cowgirls all day, so should i go with the E5? mostly be using husky jerk-baits, shadraps, xraps, and rattle traps. For rod then, 7ft. medium with moderate action.

That's tough, for the x-raps, husky jerk-baits and rattle baits I would use the 7, for the shad rap I would go with the 5. Guess I would raher reel slower when using the shad rap then having to burn the rattle bait.

Yeah, if you are pulling walleye cranks with it, the E7 might not be too bad. I am just thinking anything like a DT-16 or DT-20 the bass guys use have those huge wide lips on them that put a lot of load on you. Walleye cranks typically have a narrower lip. And for shallow diving cranks, the E7 would be just fine.

I guess it really comes down to what cranks you are going to throw. Huge, wide bodied, big lipped cranks, go with the E5. Slender, longer, shallower cranks, make it the E7.

I think for all around the E5 would suite you best. For jerkbait style lures your going to have to reel a little faster but for all around cranks its the best choice.

Rods, you're faced with another dilema. For jerkbaits a 66-7 M power fast action would be great but for regular cranks most prefer a moderate action but this would not work well for jerkbaits. Also you mentioned lots of different baits smaller baits like shadraps are best suited to a different setup than deeper bass crankbaits so think about what it will be used for the most and lean the setup towards that bait.

I dont know what you're looking to spend but I dont think you need to spend a lot to get a good cranking setup so you could consider several setups instead of dropping a bunch of cash on one.

Usually have jig rods, trolling rods, and muskie/pike rods with so I am trying to limit it to just one setup. If it makes any difference 95% of casting will be to rock/rubble shorelines in less than 8 fow, so it will mostly be shallow type baits.

E7, like I said, I would rather slow down sometimes than have to speed up a lot. You lose a lot of feel when you have to crank so fast. If you were using shad raps 90% of the time and the other stuff every now and then, I would maybe think otherwise, but sounds like you are going to mix it up quite a bit.

I would also look at using Fireline rather than regular braid. Will get you a little more depth out of your crankbaits.

I think if it were up to me, I might drip down to the Citica in a 6.2-1 gear ratio.. that will cover things better.. You dont want a 7-1 for deep cranking, it will wear you out. The rod you want is a 7' M or MH moderate action.. as I have stated many times, I really love the TC4 Cranking rods that shimano makes.. They make them in both the Compre and Crucial line of rods. make sure you are looking for the Crankbait TC4 rod though.

uffda...more choices, haha..I will check out the tc-4..anyone have opinion on st.croix premier vs premier glass crankbait rods? Also not sure, but I don't think i would notice much difference in a 6.2 to 1 vs 7.0 to 1 on shallow cranking applications, or am i wrong?

I would get the premier crankbait over the glass. If you decide to get the Citica, I would take the money saved there and go with the Avid crankbait rod (AVC70MM or AVC70MHM). The difference on the reels is noticeable, however whether it's a bad thing...

The 6.2 would be a happy medium from the 5 and the 7.

I would not worry about the gear ratio too much. I personally use a high speed reel for cranking, I just like it that way because I feel I have a better control over the bait because all my reels are high speeds. I do however agree on a 7' m or mh mod action rod. This is the best all around crankbait rod.

I have a st.croix glass rod and love it because it is so slow and limp, but it is heavy. Depending on you price range there are plenty of options. I like the Loomis crankbait rod best, but really liked the way the the fenwick crankshaft felt! My partner is all about the Shimano crankbait rods, it's all in what you like.

If you're going for a St. Croix, consider the Mojo Bass MBC70MHM 7' Moderate MH. Great rod and has a lot of perk upgrades from the premier series! The Shimano crankbait rods also look very nice. I got to feel both at the sportshow and have to admit I would have a hard time choosing if I wasn't already such a big St Croix fan.

The shimano guys might not like me saying this but I have an E5 and a Revo SX and I think the Revo is a little better reel in that price range. Both are small profile reels but I feel the Revo casts better reels smoother and has a stronger drag also I like the tension knob on the revo it clicks when you adjust it. The Revo comes in a 6:4:1 gear ratio if you are looking to split the difference.

I'm also looking for a versatile crankbait rod, something I can throw medium to deep cranks on outside weed lines I can't decide on what I want. I'm thinking a 7 MHMF compre with braid. I would like a rod that has enough give to keep fish hooked but also has enough backbone to rip a crankbait through some weeds. Would that be a good choice?

Gunning- its all good, compitition is great to get these companies to make better products.. Thank you for your Revo VS Curado debate. I only have the new curado, not the new revo.. so I cant compare them..

as for the rod you are looking at, I think you would be better with the cranking rod.. I would look at product # CPCC70MHB

IMO if you go with the Shimano TC4's definitly get a MH 7'0. Medium I tried was way too whippy especially if you are throwing larger cranks or using jerk baits.

I'll second the vote for the Revo SX. If you are particualar about the brake system, it has the magnetic brakes. Personally don't think it works as well as the Shimano centrafuge breaks - but if you are good with thumbing probably not a big deal. One other thing with the Revo's is that they have a promotion for Wiley X sunglasses (I think you only pay shipping for $129 glasses with purchase).

Which ever way you go, they are all good choices.