• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Advice, suggestions, opinions

I just received this print in the mail. It is 8" X 45". I'm looking for advice for framing and matting. The longest glass I can get is 52" long. This gives me 3 1/2" each side. Here is my idea. I'm considering a 1 1/4" wide wood frame with a 2 1/2" mat. I'm not sure if dark or mid tone wood, would look best. I'm also not sure about the color of mat. This is going to be for sale, so I'm kind of leaning towards white or off white mat, which would go with anything. However, I'm open to others' ideas, and really welcome them. Thanks in advance.

3378855613_e1335c508a_b.jpg

A white/offwhite mat will pull out the white eagle feathers and be decorator-neutral for a person's home. Natural maple wood frame or cherry stained would be my preference. The natural maple will have a wider application in peoples' homes, while I believe the cherry would set off the image best.

You may also consider simply matting and mounting it and leaving it unframed but shrink-wrapped. That allows the buyer the flexibility to select their own frame to exactly fit their home/office decor.

Here is a frame I came up with, from my online source. It's ash with a maple finish. I'd rather have it framed in advance, due to many people having no idea where they would go to get a frame for an odd size or thinking a frame for this size would cost a lot. I can get this frame for just $26.65. It comes 1" wide, which should be plenty considering how narrow the print is. I'd add a 2" mat to finish it off. Thanks for the advice.

3379636057_6458eb87c2_o.jpg

Yeah, frame color/material is a completely individual decision, which is why it's so hard for a photographer to settle on a frame him/herself, because if you please yourself you may lose a sale because a client doesn't like the frame, or if you pick any frame based on general trends you may lose the sale for the same reason.

That's why I only frame when it's needed for display purposes, and why I try to offer matted, mounted, unframed prints for sale in the same venue. That way if someone likes my presentation they can buy it ready-made. If not, they can have their own framing done.

Mike, I've sold a lot of off-sized prints, and large prints, and people who tend to buy them big or at odd dimensions tend also to know what to do with them and that they're going to have to spend the jing for custom framing.

That being said, the frame you showed, big and inexpensive may or may not have the quality to hold up over time. It's a bit of a crapshoot.

When it comes to materials, one can think "art" or one can think "bargain," and in my experience there's very little overlap between the two. You'll certainly do what you think is best (as you should), and for that reason I hesitated to offer any advice at all. Just more food for thought. smilesmile

That being said, the frame you showed, big and inexpensive may or may not have the quality to hold up over time. It's a bit of a crapshoot.

What can be the difference between a bargain wood frame and a higher priced frame, as long as they're both hardwood? This is new to me, so I really don't know. Is it due to the stain or sealants? Maybe I'll just stick with the black metal frame. They're inexpensive and look pretty darned sharp and are much less complicated. smile

Thanks, Mike. Considering I got 2 of these, due to having 2 printed on one sheet, I'll have one framed and one just matted and mounted. People love choices. The selling point behind this is, it would look good anywhere. It could go above a large window, a large doorway or above a fireplace mantle. Not too many prints would work in these places.

Mike, aside from the hardwood, the quality is in the construction. With a frame, the joints are uber important. Do they have any gapping at all? Are all four angles perfectly cut and mated, and are they both glued and braced with fasteners?

That type of thing is what I'm talking about. I'm not trying to discourage you, simply hoping to help out a bit with some perspective on the long term. A poorly constructed frame will hurt, rather than help, a sale.

But there are plenty of good frame outlets online, and if you've gotten solidly built frames from this company before, I reckon you could buy with some confidence.