• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog Collar

otis32

Was wondering if any body had some addvice on a good dog collar. I am getting a pt. lab pup and was wondering what kind to get for that kind of dog. My cousin has one with a beeper , and I thought that was a real nice feature! I would like to keep it around $300 , thanks

I would say the most popular models right now are the Dogtra and Tri Tronics. Both have been around a long time and have proven success and dependability. I would check around, some people like different things about each collar and how they operate. There certainly are other models out there that will work, but most guys I run dogs with use one or the other.

I have both Tritronics and Dogtra. The Dogtra is a WAY better e-collar than the Tritronics in my opinion. Easy of use, reliability, and size of transmitter are all reasons I made the switch from Tritronics to Dogtra. Maybe Tritronics has improved in the last three years but you won't see me going back to them.

Like the others have stated, Tritronics, Dogtra, and DT seem to be the most popular and the best quality and have many models/options to choose from. I use Tritronics and really like their stuff. It suits my hunting style and the way I train.

I am in the market for a collar, I think of going with a dogtra. Everyone I hunt with has a diffrent brand of a collar. Seems to me the dogtra is the best brand out there. But what model to go with?

I got the Tritronics UPLAND G3 train and beep collar at the closeout sale at Sportmens Warehouse. $359 reduced to $270. Then I got real lucky and I got the second beeper and receiver used on E BAY for $50.

Gives me a top line two dog system for about $320. Can't beat that with a stick. I've had it about 2 weeks and work it daily. The results are very positive.

So far I'm very happy with the results on basic obedience work and woah training. Both dogs now "come" on command immediately rather than taking their sweet time about it or having to have the command issued 4 or 5 times before paying attention.

There is no temptation on retrieves to veer off to the side and play with the dummy....its straight back to my feet with it.

Definitely recommend you pick up a DVD on E-Collar training too. Its a great tool if you use it as recommended by the pro's but I can see it be equally harmful if not used correctly.

With Dogtra if you go with the beeper i would recommend the 2000 over the 2500. The 2500 beeper and shocking unit are all in one. Most if not all collars the shocker part of the collar tends to work its way down under neath the neck. With the 2500 now your beeper is pointing down at the ground and the sounds doesn't go as far. With the 2000 when the collar works it's way down the beeper is pointing straight up. The 2500 does have a couple other nice features the 2000 doesn't have. But on those very windy days you will be glad you went with the 2000 T&B.

[Note from Admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank You] I bought my dogtra 2000 new there, and love it. But they also sell reconditioned collars if a person is looking to save a few bucks.

The dogtra's have worked very well for us. We use them in training our field trial dogs and with our guiding service in South Dakota. Have had no issues over the past several years. The work well in the water and in very heavy cover.