• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Red River Flood Fight 2009 *pics added almost daily*

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Windowpane, that's photojournalism! If you can find a daily newspaper that's still in business, submit it. It's a truly excellent expression of the perseverance of those who fight Red River Valley flooding. Sooner or later the river sometimes wins, no matter how hard you fight, and this image captures the theme perfectly. If I was still editing newspaper pages, this would be the centerpiece photo on page 1A for the day.

I can hardly bear to keep looking in on this thread. Fargoans headed north in droves in 1997 to help us out in GF/EGF, and though I'm far, far away and without the resources to reciprocate, it's all I can do not to pack a bag and stick out my thumb bound for Fargo.

God bless, everyone with muddy water in their field of vision. All who have been there before are with all who are there now.

A simple word based on experience. If the water is rising and you feel torn between staying behind and saving your things and getting the heck out of there, GET THE HECK OUT OF THERE! Things can be replaced, but deaths can only be mourned. In a week or two you may be complaining about the cleanup, but you've got to be alive to complain.

Today, you fight. Tomorrow, you rebuild!

And for all of those who have converged on flood-stricken areas to help out, YOU ROCK AMERICA!

The news tonight out of Fargo is not good. One can actually hear the deep sadness in the announcers. The crest forecast has been elevated to higher levels than recorded history, and extended for a longer period of time.

My most sincere thoughts and prayers go out to everyone who has worked so hard to defeat this flood, and all those who are currently evacuating the city.

I survived the flood of 1997 in Ada, MN. Even after the water defeated us, we pulled ourselves up by the bootstraps, cleaned up the mess, and rebuilt the city.

People are capable of amazing things when they band together and fight the good fight. Keep a stiff upper lip and a strong faith.

Thanks to everyone on FM and elsewhere for all of your efforts. Good luck to all those in the Red River Valley, and may the good Lord have Mercy on this terrible situation.

God Bless.

Great job Polarsus81, Paul, icefishing21 & everyone else pitching in! Best of luck to Cliffy. Incredible photo too Windowpane. I'm also really shocked by those photos of Cats on the Red! That's the only part of the Red that I've ever spent time on so it really hits home.

I went for a little walk across the block tonight and realized that the water is at the curb and about to come over the road one block from my house and river is at 39 feet. I am at 41' in my yard and 42 at my door. I have emptied out my basement and plugged my drains. now I wait. My Boss called me and told me to stay home and gave me eveyone's cell numbers and told me to call if I need help and they will come running. Good luck Cliffy.

Not good. Not good. It's frustraiting when you battle for 6 days straight, and continue to get news that you need to go even higher. I'm exhausted, this town's exhausted, and now my place is in serious danger of going under in whats supposed to be protected to a 500 yr flood level. This town has been nothing short of amazing, along with the 100's from mlps and around. I believe we do live in the greatest part of the country. The upper midwest is a different breed of people. Thank you for all your kind words and support, especially to those who have come to help!!!

It's dishearting to see what you've fought against putting everthing you had, just to see it be washed under. Now our town is under a travel freeze, no one including volunteers can drive anywhere. My place happens to be one that wasnt even considered 3 days ago, but now I'm looking at a stake in the ground 30ft away from my door that has a 43 ft line on it, with no dike to be seen. The water is about 1.5 ft from breeching the diversion that was meant to keep this place safe. No sandbags available, otherwise I'd be out there even if it was myself. Helpless. I'm just praying to the Good Lord that He will get this town through this. There certainly is some amazing people here. We'll I better take a nap and get ready for the next day.

I can't take credit for that picture. Got it with a bunch from a friend. Pray for safety for all the workers up there during this cold snap. My daughter and her hubby have been working hard up there. They live in Moorhead. Sure wish I was up there to help.

Up and till know I also thought I would be safe. I live one block from the red river and it is now coming up over the road. I received a Code Red Call from the city at 7am telling us to plug our drains because the sewer system is potentially failing. THere have been some mandatory evacuations in South Moorhead for areas south of I-94 west of Highway 75 (8th street) and recomended evac in areas south of Main Ave, North of Concordia college, west of 5th street. I hope the fema flood maps are accurate, if not I will be taking a bath in couple of hours.

From City of Moorhead HSOforum:

NEWS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

For further information, please contact:

Moorhead Engineering Office

City of Moorhead

(218) 299-5390

Emergency Message: Moorhead Residents North of I-94, South of Main Ave., & West of 8th St. S. / US 75 (Zone 2)

As of 3:00 PM on Thursday, the National Weather Service issued a revised forecast that the Red River will crest at 42 feet on Saturday, March 28th. Based upon this prediction, the City of Moorhead local Law Enforcement officials direct that ALL residents within the area North of I-94, South of Main Ave., and West of 8th St. S. / US 75 evacuate the area. Storm sewers, such as those found on Rivershore Drive, are starting to back up with water.

o Please seek shelter with family or friends outside of the flood zone to conserve emergency resources. A Red Cross public shelter is available at Moorhead High School, 2300 4th Avenue South.

o Bring your identification and a 7 – 10 day supply of medications.

o Bring baby supplies if you have an infant.

o Pets will NOT be accepted at the Red Cross shelter. Animal shelter may be available at the Doggy Depot (3224 8th Street South, 218-236-DOGS) and the Mutt Hut (1214 Main Avenue, 218-236-9935). Call ahead; please bring your animal’s food and health records. Pet shelter space is extremely limited, so please try to make accommodations with family or friends outside of the flood zone.

o Once you are at a safe location, call 218-477-4747 to register your home’s address and temporary location so emergency personnel and your family and friends can know you are safe and how to reach you.

o If you need assistance with relocation, please call the relocation hotline 218-477-4747.

o If your family needs special assistance with relocation, you may also contact the Clay County Emergency Operations Center at 299-7768.

You guys, along with all Fargoans, are definitely in my prayers, also. Although I don't know anybody personally from Fargo, other than having met Paul one time, I still had a tough time getting to sleep last night, just thinking about what you are all going thru. It may not seem like it now, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. I wish you all the best.

Thanks for letting us know. I have been feeling so helpless here. My shoulders wouldn't last an hour throwing sand bags. But I could certainly house a small dog if either of you have one. I have a 15 pound playmate here. She doesn't fare too well with big dogs. Yours is welcome to have the run of the house, a fenced in back yard, two long walks a day, and a section of my bed at night (if housebroken!) Just let me know, I will meet you somewhere.

I was up there all day yesterday and it was amazing to see how much the water rose in the matter of a few hours. I have some pics, but at this point I think we all get the severity of it all. It was great to see that many people come together and help out wherever possible. I know we only saw a fraction of the area, but the fact that the water rose that fast and it is now coming up through storm drains makes you work all the harder. I hope they do not raise the crest level anymore as that would be a very bad deal. Our thoughts are with the people that reside in the flood area.

I'm watching Fargo go through what Grand Forks went through twelve years ago. Grand forks was 90 percent flooded while East Grand was all flooded except for something like nine houses. My city came back more improve than it was before. Looking back that flood made us have to come up with a adequate flood protection which was a long time coming and it took a disaster for us to accomplish that goal. The Fargo/Moorehead area will come out of this as well. They have from what I've seen as good leaders. We have a president that I can see putting alot of money behind this disaster and North Dakota with a large surplus of cash from the oil boom. This disaster was terrible to say the least but the future of these two communities are bright, hang in there.

I want to say thank you to all who came here from all over the state. THey are now roads into Fargo and you can not get here. So if you plan on coming here to help i would recomend calling first. The North Dakota Highway department has closed east bound lanes of I-94 from Jamestown ND to Fargo, which I am guessing is so they can use all 4 lanes as westbound evac routes. They are know evacing the clay county jail and hauling out all important documents loading into trucks to head to dry ground. The street to my house are now closed with water creeping up the street.

So If you are from out of the area, and want to help call first. Look at Rick's post at top of page to get hotline number.

I called there today, early afternoon. They told me they were "discouraging" volunteers from out of town. Said the traffic has gotten to be such an issue that it'd be easier to just stay away.

My truck was packed, I was ready to go, but I sure don't want to get in the way of the efforts already going on. All I can do now is hope and pray for all those involved.

Good luck. We all hope you're safe.

I would encourage anyone who is interested to call that number and see what you can do. While the crest is predicted for tomorrow, it could last several days, and even dikes that are high enough can weaken and need bolstering, so volunteers may still be needed.

I echo Cbrooks' sentiments. GF/EGF is a better place because of what happened. Fargo/Moorhead, whether the dikes hold or not, will be a better place afterward as well. It's amazing how much bonding goes on when large cities pull together to fight a big fight.

God bless, everyone.

Well, Now we just have to wait. I have National Gaurd soldiers blocking my street on one end and Moorhead Police blocking at other end. MN DOT snow plows are building a ring dike around the COurt House and Family Service center. I spent this afternoon helping some neighbors sandbag their house higher and reinforce now that the city decided to add additional dikes in front of their homes in case their dikes break it will stop the water hopefully. they are called Aqua Dikes. It is a solid wall of water than is 44" tall, about 60" across and filled with water. Looks like a large tube of sausage that is running from 2nd ave North to 12th Ave North. I snagged some more images today even though I said I would not but could not help myself. These shots are taken in North Moorhead of sandbaggers, dike building and the new water dikes.

110674035.jpg

Deploying of the Aqua Dike:

110674036.jpg

Deployed Aqua Dike

110674043.jpg

The Infamous Measuring Stick

110674037.jpg

A Failed Dike and filled basement. Homeowner had to give up the fight

110674038.jpg

110674039.jpg

110674040.jpg

110674041.jpg