• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Red River Flood Fight 2009 *pics added almost daily*

As some of you may have heard we are in for a doozey here in the valley. THey are predicting a higher river crest this year than in 1997. They keep changing the crest prediction each time it goes up and comes sooner. The prediction is now for 41+ feet for Friday. in 1997 we had 37 feet.

I will start a series of photos of the progress. These are from Saturday the first day of 24 hour round the clock operations. This is the 2nd street dike that is 4 traffic lanes wide and taller than a dump truck.

110520281.jpg

110520282.jpg

110520283.jpg

110520284.jpg

110520285.jpg

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be watching this post, pictures really tell the story, thanks for sharing.

Good Luck to everyone up there.

It's unfortunate that in these "fights" Mother Nature always seems to be the undisputed champ.

I will try post some more pics after work tonight, but since the county has declared marshall law on flood gazers, I may not be able to get many more good shots. We shall see, I have asked others in Fargo Moorhead to email their photos to me as well so I will post them also on my photo HSOforum found at www.pbase.com/paulhagen . I may have to get a hold of my friends at the paper and con a press pass out of them. LOL

Having grown up in Fargo-Moorhead and going to school in Grand Forks I've been through my share of these! Good luck Paul, stay safe and keep the spirits up! My folks moved from there a year ago but still own a business on the Fargo side so I still get reports on what is going on! Keep us posted with photos if you get the chance!

I am planning on getting a couple guys together to come up and help in the sandbagging efforts.

Paul, do you know of anyone that might be willing to put up a couple guys with sleeping bags that would come up to help out? Otherwise, do you know of any hotels that are letting people stay free for volunteer efforts?

This is a very clear reminder of what many of living along the banks of the Red had to endure back in '97, at the time it was a living nightmare!

Not sure what to expect up here this year, only the good Lord knows for sure...and may he take pitty and show mercy on all who reside close to or in the Red River Valley!

Paul, do you know of anyone that might be willing to put up a couple guys with sleeping bags that would come up to help out? Otherwise, do you know of any hotels that are letting people stay free for volunteer efforts?

Try contacting the Red Cross, they may have some info on this. Also the City of Fargo has a command post of sorts set up with a central line for volunteers to call so that they can direct them to when and where they can help. The number is 701-476-4000, you may want to give them a call before you show up. They may also know of where you can find a bunk.

Thanks for posting these shots Paul. My daughter was at NDSU in '97, I remember that spring only too well.

Hang in there, stay safe (and legal) - we look forward to more of your work and maybe, just maybe, the forecasters will have overshot the forecast a bit!

Thanks for posting the pics Paul. This whole thing is like living a nightmare all over again.

I still remember the flood of 1997 but I was just an apartment renter in Fargo at that time...not much invested in anything.

Now I have lived in Moorhead for the last several years, a city employee for the past 13-14 and love this town. We just built a new house and we are endanger of losing at least the basement if the dikes fail.

I have been spending over-time doing flood patrol and trying to keep the lookie-lous out of the area to allow for the best and quickest traffic flow of essential vehicles and equipment. Paul, you can still probably get some really good shots...as long as you walk into the working areas. If you try to drive in, you might not like what you hear. I spent today on South Rivershore and its just devastating and heartbreaking to watch. I am very encouraged and proud of those that volunteered to help others that they dont even know. It sorta rekindled the human spirit in a way.

Good luck to all

Cliffy

Thought you all might be interested in seeing how we Canuck's deal with serious ice problems on our side! Major ice jams, combined with extremely high flood waters have always caused wide spread devastation in these parts. This is our solution. They're not the fastest vessel on the ice, but given time, and properly trained operators and crew, they can make a major difference to the final outcome!

By the look at what's headed our way from the southern portions of the valley, these machines and their crews will have been justified!

The machine is called the Amphibex. It total weight is approximately 30 tons.

IMG_0454.jpg

As you can see, it's like a floating, self-powered and self-propelled backhoe of sorts.

IMG_0460.jpg

IMG_0514.jpg

IMG_0457.jpg

IMG_0468.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg

When the ice thicknesses exceeds three feet, the Amphibex needs a helping hand or should I say, "help" from a very powerful and fast cutting ice router! This may appear to be small, but don't let her small stature fool you! The high spped router bit that is fixed to the tractors PTO turns at a very high rate of speed and cuts a three inch wide X eighteen inch deep trecnh in the ice. Once this has been accomplished, the big guys move in to take care of the rest!

IMG_0499.jpg

IMG_0516.jpg

Cliffy, THe house I am thinking of buying is on South RIver Shore. Tell me about it, I am kinda thinking of holding back on my offer. frown

What is the address?....or if you dont feel comfortable saying...what is the block....such as 3700, 3800..etc.

Paul and Stu, I'm going to merge these flood threads and retitle the thread. It just seems to make the most sense, as folks are going to continue to look in on this topic, and if there continue to be multiple threads it'll get unmanageable. This flood affects a whole watershed and is bigger than any single city and any single poster.

Hope you don't mind, and God bless and thank you for your posts. smilesmile

Anyone with comments/images on the flood should just keep putting them in here. Thanks, all, and if you can get to the flooding communities to help out, those resident will all bless you for your consideration. Trust me.

I dont mean to hijack the thread..so I will post this comment for Paul and then let it get back on track.

That is a nice neighborhood...I was the beat cop for many years before shifting further south. I dont recall much for "calls for service" in that area.

If that house makes it thru this flood it would seem like a solid place. Hey, just think, you could spend your springs tossing sandbags making ring dikes....and maybe noddling some nice cats at the same time.

Keep the pics coming. I have been taking a couple with just a cheap point-and-shoot, so I will try and add some as well...

Take care

Cliffy