• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hey all...I'm new to the area (actually i'm in Brookings) and I cannot wait for open water any longer, how is the fishing around Yankton? Where's a guy to go around here...just pull over on the side of the road or are there parking areas on certain stretches of the Missou.? ANY help would be great. Thanks.

I was at Yankton dam on 3/21 from 11am until 4pm. I put my pop in the water and it stayed nice and cold. I felt bad for any fish who had to live in water so cold that the surface temp was plenty cold enough. I never caught a fish and didnt see anyone else from shore catch one. There was 31 boats working below the dam when I arrived and 27 when I left. Some boats never caught a fish. Some boats caught multiple fish. No boats caught very many. From Brookings to Yankton would be a very long drive. There are some nice walleyes in the Big Sioux not far from Brookings. One of my friends has a 9.2 on his wall that he caught near the Interstate bridge. Good Luck

there are plenty of great fishing lakes west of brookings.

Thompson, Sinai, Oakwood, Brush, 81 Ponds, and you could even venture north and you got Poinset and thats just the beginning there are many more.

Dont be afraid to give them all a shot if you dont want to drive all the way to the river.

If you want to hit some eyes in a river, try the Big Sioux. I've heard the Brookings area can be alright. Flandreau is a hotspot on the Big Sioux in the spring - maybe a 20 minute drive for you.

I wouldn't waste my time going all the way to Yankton from Brookings. If you really want to hit the Missouri, just got straight west. Either fish at Fort Thompson or Chamberlain. Much better shore fishing IMO there.

I have fished the Big Sioux near Sioux Falls with limited sucess, alot of rough fish and the occasional cat... When you mentioned Flandreau, is there some decent Walleye action up there? I go to school so it'd be strictly catch and release (campus frowns about fish guts in the garbage), but I'd really like to catch some walleyes if there were some to be had... Thanks!