• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How many pounds thrust on trolling motor?

Luck e 1

Having more thrust than you "need" is a good thing, for those few times when you might want it. But 40 lbs on a 14' boat would be a great setup, and 55 lbs would border on overkill (well, maybe not overkill because there really isn't such a thing when it comes to powering boats). But there's lots of guys out there with 55 lb motors on 16 and 17 foot console boats ..... I think you could leave a wake with a 55lb motor on your 14' boat.

It will also depend on what you plan on using your trolling motor for and how fast you plan on going with it.

If you are going to use it to pull crank baits I would still say go bigger, the larger motor will save battery life at equal speeds. If you will only use it for back trolling, casting, or positioning while drifting then the 40 will fit your needs great.

I have a 14 ft Lund with a 15 horse. I currently have a transom mount 36 lb thrust trolling motor. For fishing on calm days on lakes, that is generally enough. Fishing on the St. Croix it works fine. But right now, fishing on the Sippi either Pool 2 or Pool 4 it doesn't cut it. If and when I upgrade, I plan to build a mount for a bow mount trolling motor up front and put a 55 lb or better on there. Some will say I am crazy, but having more power is better than not enough.

With a 36 lb thrust motor, the best I can do on the river right now is hold in place at full throttle. Get a snag, fire up the gas motor. Get a big fish, if she runs up stream it is gonna be tough. I can maneuver the boat around in the current to keep lined up for drifts, but that is about it. I do a lot of casting too for bass and skies in the summer, so a bow mount will serve me 1000x better than my current transom mount.

I say go big, or go downstream.

I have a little 12' jonboat that I use on the city lakes & small rivers. Last year I upgraded from 36lb to 55lb thrust. I love the extra speed at full throttle but it drains my 12v battery a lot quicker. Now I carry 2 batteries for longer trips. Cutting through the milfoil is easier now & I have a lot more power in reverse.

When was the last time you heard someone say they wish they had a smaller trolling motor?

I went with the 55lb bow mount on my 14ft Lund. It will pull me upstream in a 3 mph current. Nice when you snag and don't want to run to the back to start the main motor.

Thanks for all the help everyone...

Trollin- I literally picked up the same model yesterday! Same price and everything.

the guy still had the box, receipt to cabelas, and everything.

The funny thing is I had been looking for the last two months. That's the way it goes.

sorry.