• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Who Wears Helmets While Biking?

I can undertand an adult making the decision to not wear a helmet. But I will never understand a parent not making the kids wear one. If anyone in the family is going to fall its far more likely that it will be one of your kids.

Kids are harder to see on the roads, they don't have fully developed coordination yet and the biggest reason is that they don't pay attention. How many times have you seen a kid ride across a street without looking? Most of them probably know they should stop and look both ways but when they get excited or are having fun they forget things like that. One slip in judgement and then kid is in the hospital.

The day that kids stop having accidents then you can come talk to me about not making them wear helmets. Until then slap the lid on the kid. They aren't expensive and since most kids wear them they aren't as dorky as they once were.

Just think of it this way. If you wear one and never need it you're out the $20 you spent on the helmet. If you don't wear one and end up needing it you could be out $1000's in medical bills, potentialy $1000's in rehibilitation and you can't calculate the affects on the family and the decreased quality of life after the accident. After a brain injury people rarely recover 100%, its something that will last a lifetime.

Its really the cheapest insurance you'll ever find.

Some really good pros and cons to the helmet issue here. I never wore a helmet while snowboarding/skiing until a good friend of mine passed away due to a head injury. I don't set foot on the mountain without one now. I've given my self concussions, cuts, bruises and bumps over the years while wearing and not wearing a helmet. I think the way they are making helmets these days makes a big difference on the amount of people wearing them. Ski/snowboard helmets are very warm, stylish and have goggle clips so when you do fall you don't loose your $100 goggles. Bike helmets (IMO) keep me cool no matter what the temperature and add minimal weight.

It is personal preference, but mine is to wear a helmet while on the mountain (biking and riding).

Back in high school, I raced pretty much every weekend during the summer and fall. The first time I did the Duluth race at Spirit Mtn., I crashed pretty bad. After the race, I found my fork slightly bent, and my helmet had some scary looking cracks. No helmet, and I'm probably not typing this today.

My first year of snowboarding with my daughter we didn't wear helmets. Luckily, no serious injuries. Second year, we wore them. I went out once without her and did't wear the helmet. I had no confidence in hitting the jumps. With the helmet, I felt I could do anything. Now I just need to get that mentality while on the bicycle. You guys might have gotten me to change my way of thinking.

Quote:
Some really good pros and cons to the helmet issue here.

I really don't see a con to wearing a helmet. Unless you consider the helmet messing up your hair a con. grin

In motorcycle riding this is called "Hairdo by Honda"... Not sure of what you call that in bike riding... smile Maybe just hairdo by helmet???

The biggest thing with getting a helmet is to make sure it fits properly and doesn't flop around on your head. If it flops around it will not protect your head nor will be comfortable while riding and if you have to putz around with it will riding that ain't so so safe either. The good helmets will have some extra support at the back of the helmet to keep it straight on your head where it belongs.

I agree with shiner. Growing up we never wore helmets but it's good to see the the X-Games have made helmets cool for kids. After switching to a helmet skiing/boarding I can't imagine riding without one. It is much more comfortable and warm than a hat. I finally switched to wearing one on the bike two years ago when we started riding the single tracks. It was wierd at first but pretty soon it becomes second nature. I actually forgot my helmet one time when we went to Lebanon Hills last year and felt very naked without it. Trust me you will get used to it. Also I was in a bad motorcycle accident with my helmet on and was able to stand up with nothing more than a separated shoulder and a wrecked bike.

A very good friend of mine went over his handlebars, planted his skull into the paved bike trail, and we buried him a few days later.

Personally I have never worn a helmet while biking, but that tragedy really got me thinking. If I did more than just casual biking on the gravel logging roads while partridge hunting, I'd probably get a helmet.