• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Who Wears Helmets While Biking?

Saw several riders today wearing helmets. I used to skydive in a different life long ago. I rarely wore a helmit then, can't see it for riding my bike. How do the rest of you feel about it?

Used to do alot of Mt Biking and anyone out there not wearing was asking for problems. Seen a few broken during spills, can only imagine the injuries if not wearing one. I personally have bonked my head a few times and glad I was wearing one.

Used to do alot of Mt Biking and anyone out there not wearing was asking for problems. Seen a few broken during spills, can only imagine the injuries if not wearing one. I personally have bonked my head a few times and glad I was wearing one.

I guess serious off road biking would be one thing. Couldn't blame you for that, but what about your average metro trails?

So far I've destroyed one collar bone and one helmet. Good thing it was a helmet, I haven't seen a bike shop selling replacement heads. But, I did get a new helmet. I don't always wear one. If I'm out running a couple of errands not to far from home or not riding too fast I might not wear one, but 95% of the time I've got the brain bucket on.

Originally Posted By: upnorth

I guess serious off road biking would be one thing. Couldn't blame you for that, but what about your average metro trails?

Paved/or real light duty trails no.

I usually bike only on hard surfaced roads and trails so I have not worn a helmet. I often think about starting especially when going at high speeds and cornering. Maybe this will be the year that I start...

On the motorcycle I always wear a helmet if I am traveling more than just around the corner...

I always wear mine.

I'm not concerned with the paved trails or tight turns. I'm concerned with all the drivers that are on their cell phones, changing the radio station, yelling at their kids, putting on make up, trying to make the light, the list goes on...

If all I had to do was assess my own abilities I would probably not wear it but you have to be concerned with the abilities of the drivers out there. A slip on a tight sandy turn might take the skin of your knee but a run in with a car will crack open your melon almost every time.

Besides my helmet makes me look snazzy out there.

If all I had to do was assess my own abilities I would probably not wear it but you have to be concerned with the abilities of the drivers out there. A slip on a tight sandy turn might take the skin of your knee but a run in with a car will crack open your melon almost every time.

Besides my helmet makes me look snazzy out there.

Yup - I wear mine all the time too!

I used to only wear mine on occasion, but I've gotten more into the road biking and find myself in traffic and going faster. I wear it all the time now. I figure, if I have it, I might as well put it on cuz you never know. I saw a helmet from a low speed road bike crash and the helmet cracked pretty good while absorbing the impact (better the helmet than the head). Another benefit to helmets is the venting helps channel the air to your noggin which keeps your head cooler. I feel I'm great on my bike and always aware of what's going on... but it only takes one distracted driver, or patch of sand, or whatever. Wear it, Don't wear it... to each his own.

I always wear a helmet, not because I am worried about me running into something, but because I am worried about being hit by a car or having a deer run out etc.

There are a lot more variables and things to go wrong while riding a bike than when jumping out of a plane. For one you have to deal with a lot more people, which always complicates things.

I like my brain functioning and in my skull, I'll take the helmet.

I wear one. I was wearing one when I hit a patch of sand on a bike trail in Rochester and went down. At least that is what I think. I still don't remember. Broke an arm and got a concussion (lost about 6 or 8 hours of short term memory). I think if I hadn't had a helmet on I wouldn't be typing this, but I can't prove it.

Darn sand did't look that deep. It was just a dip where the rain water from the storm sewer ran across the blacktop trail to the river. It was dry for a change so I blasted (half way) through it. That's my guess.

Neighbor kid was helmetless and got bumped and went down and hit her head on a manhole cover. Was in the hospital for a couple weeks. Touch and go for a while.

So helmets seem like a good idea. I know that the bikers will give you all sorts of statistical arguments. Still seems like a good idea to me.

As I said earlier - I wear mine, but the reason is probably because I've seen enough TBIs (traumatic brain injury) and I don't want to stick my family and friends with the outcome (no matter how mild) if I survive an accident of some sort. Just another consideration -

I always wear a helmet biking. Always on the motorcycle too. I dented my helmet mountain biking a few years ago. The dent was on the left temple. It was a minor crash, but I hit a point of rock. Without a helmet I very easily could have had the same type of head bleed that the actress who died recently had.

I have two friends who have been hit while road biking and had head injuries. Helmets probably saved their lives -- and it wasn't their skill that lead to the crash. They were clipped by vehicles from behind.

My boss during college was biking on the Root River trail, fell off her bike and died. So it can happen on bike trails as well.

I realize that the chances of dying from a bike crash (especially on a bike path or a cruise through a neighborhood) are low. But, dying or being brain damaged from something so easily preventable seems foolish at best. What's the downside to wearing a helmet? You look like a dork? So what. And please, please "make" your kids wear helmets. They don't have the motor skills that young adults and adults have, and if they will wear a helmet as a kid, they'll be more likely to wear one as an adult.

Chances are you'll never have to test it out (knock on wood), but if you do end up head-butting pavement, or a car... why not have a helmet on?

I agree with DT08 on the kids thing. They lack experience and aren't as visible on the road either. No one wants their kid to get a head injury (serious or not) especially if it could have been avoided.

Quote:
I don't even "make" my kids were theirs.

You are going to get quite a lecture by the emergency room doctor if you ever have to bring your child in for a injury. I broke my collar bone a few years ago and was in the emergency room. During my visit there was a family there with a child that had a bad head injury from a bike crash. Let's just say the doctor on staff really lit the parents up for not requiring a helmet.