• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog food

portageman

Here's my $1500.00 two cents for what it's worth. It cost me $1500 from a specialized vet down in Eden Prairie to find out that Iams (i.e. Iams and Eukanuba) and Science Diet are the worst foods you can feed to a dog or cat. I had one that developed Irritable bowel disease (read constant runs). 70% of his Irritable bowel patients were on Iams or Science Diet and developed this. He suggested Sensible Choice (which is sometimes hard to find) another good one is Richard Van Pattens. Everybody talks about protein and fat(not runny chicken fat mixed with water as a binder) but it needs to be the right kind with blends of rice and veggies. Just think if you ate steak or chicken for every meal (throw in some runny chicken fat too) your system might get alittle messed up too.

There was also a previous post about a vet recommending Science Diet. That's because their clinic makes a profit on selling dog food of that brand. The only time my vet recommends Science Diet is for use when the animal is sick because Science Diet and Royal Canin make the majority of "perscription" animal foods out there.

I'm getting a new GWP here and I will either use Purina One, Native, or Richard Van Patten.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two cents about Large Breed Puppy foods: It's often heard that Large breeds need to grow slow for proper development so the LBP formulas are often lower in protein and quality fat content that Adult mixes.

I don't know anyone in the business of dogs that believes that! Which is why my pups are fed Super Performance. I want to be certain that as they reach each growth spurt that they are receiving sufficient nutrition for complete development. It makes no sense to me to limit growth protential by not providing appropiate nutrient mix.

That notion is supported by people that know a lot more about dogs than I do - that's winners both on the trail and in the show ring.

I don't know anyone in the business of dogs that believes that! Which is why my pups are fed Super Performance. I want to be certain that as they reach each growth spurt that they are receiving sufficient nutrition for complete development. It makes no sense to me to limit growth protential by not providing appropiate nutrient mix.

That notion is supported by people that know a lot more about dogs than I do - that's winners both on the trail and in the show ring.

Interesting thoughts. I would certainly not subscribe to the notion of feeding super performance food to a pup....but that's my opinion. You don't believe that that food may lead to growth rates that are to fast for proper skeletal development? What are your thoughts on calcium intake and it's affect on skeletal development?

From my reading the main idea is not to limit growth potential, but to manage it so it does not occur to rapidly.

One article I read suggests that a diet containing 26%/14%, .8% calcium, and .67% prosperous is recommended. This definitely supports to manufacturer as they sell a formula with this exact ration of ingredients. Based on my research on foods I would be somewhat concerned about the 1.9% calcium in the Super Performance food you feed to pups, although if you feed smaller amounts of food do to the ME maybe the overall daily intake is somewhat lower. The bigger issues seem to revolve around calcium intake and not as much around protein and fat, as long as the feeding is controlled and the pump is not allowed to gain too much weight.

Originally Posted By: Leaddog

Interesting thoughts. I would certainly not subscribe to the notion of feeding super performance food to a pup....but that's my opinion. You don't believe that that food may lead to growth rates that are to fast for proper skeletal development? What are your thoughts on calcium intake and it's affect on skeletal development?

From my reading the main idea is not to limit growth potential, but to manage it so it does not occur to rapidly.

It's an interesting topic. As you may know, I am into Great Danes, which are much larger and grow much faster than, say, a lab (our guy went from 40 lbs at 3 months to 140 lbs at 10 months). The popular opinion amongst breeders of Danes is that pups grow too quickly on puppy foods leading to a variety of orthopedic problems, and nearly all the breeders and owners I have talked with feed large-breed adult foods as soon as the pups are on solid foods. Now, from the research I have done, most of that thinking is outdated. There have been a ton of advances to dog foods in the last 10 years. Large-breed puppy and giant-breed puppy foods are designed specifically with the health of a growing pup in mind. Puppy foods are not just higer fat and protein versions of adult formulas anymore. There are many benefits to feeding a proper puppy formula.

The way I look it most owners, breeder, and even vets are not animal nutritionists. Do your own research, and find a food that works for you and your dog.

Wow -

I originally posted this last March. Some great stuff posted since then. I guess I would have to agree with whoever said you have to find something that works for you and your dog. Mid summer my dog decided she would not eat Pro Plan anymore. We had to do some experimentation. She loved Diamond Naturals, but that gave her the runs. We have been feeding her Eukanuba with no problems. I guess dogs are like people - different food sits differently with them.

Absolutely, Do you own research and feed what you feel good about.

Calcium is an important point. The supporting connective tissue needs to develop just as strong as the bone, thats part of what makes exercise such a crucial elliment to development and makes other ingredients more relevant. Excesses in most ingredients will simply pass through the system. That's not the case for everything though. Manufacturers do a good job of producing a balanced product but they do have to market to the consumer to be successful which is why you see so many differences.

You're right most of us are not nutrition experts. The bottom line is feed what you are comfortable with. Remember that most of the more expensive food require far less volume to be fed providing more servings per bag at less $ per serving.

One last thing then I'll try to refrain from the topic: Many mushers suppliment the kibble. You have to be very careful when adding to dry food to not knock the nutritional balance out of whack. I cook together venison scraps (meat and some fat from trimming steaks, etc) rice and eggs. Each dogs just gets a bit each night on top of the NS.

Happy Dogs, Happy hunting, be safe and good luck!

Calcium is an important point.

Excesses in most ingredients will simply pass through the system. That's not the case for everything though.

Calcium being one of them.

I'm curious to your thoughts on nutrition and it's effect on skeletal development.....as much of the reading and studies done points towards nutritional issues adversely affecting development (not malnourishment). It sounds like you prefer a hot food for your puppies, and don't believe in the puppy formulas. Just curios the specifics behind your decision.

I think the statement about doing your research is a big one. What some may not realize is that with some foods (with regards to puppies), feeding an adult food (with a low calorie ME rating) may supply the pup with too much calcium as they need to feed more of the food to the pup.

I'm feeding our 4 month old lab Nutro Max Puppy. she loves it and is looking good. she does not seem to be growing too fast but is getting very muscular it seems like. the vet says she is looking great and i feel the same. good stuff for about a buck a pound

My one year old lab started out with a few bags of science diet, then i saw the bad print. I switched her over to pro plan. I think the toots got a little better. She has always had a soft shinny coat. But now it is unbelievable how shinny she is. Never seen a lab shine like this. Turds are little and hard, for easy clean up. Now i think i might try to find a vitamin suppliment (if needed not sure) and it is hunting time.

So this may sound crazy to everyone who has done scientific research with your dogs health in mind but, what I have heard is that if you put a little bit of cottage cheese in with your dogs dry food it will cure the shedding and dandruff issue.. well we did do such a thing we mixed about 2 tablespoons with our golden retreiver/ yellow labs Dry Eukanuba and after about 2 months we noticed a huge difference in coat with no shedding and no dandruff. Just a thought let me know what you think....

I have a 5 year old Vizsla that is a picky eater. My breeder suggested i feed him a food with high protein and zero grains. I started him out as a pup on Solid Gold. I switched him over Orijen when it came out. He loved Orijen. I didn't like the price of orijen so the last bag a bought was Taste of the wild. Can't get my dog to eat the stuff. Looks like I'll switch back to Solid Gold.

Has anyone tried the food called "chicken soup"?

Are you refering to the brand "Chicken soup for the dog lovers soul" or something like that?

I looked at it at Chuck and Don's just out of curiosity and the ingredient list looked pretty good. Initially I thought it was a little cheesy and was skeptical but it looked to be good quality, however I still ended up with Nutri Source.

Originally Posted By: DuckDog
Has anyone tried the food called "chicken soup"?

Are you refering to the brand "Chicken soup for the dog lovers soul" or something like that?

I looked at it at Chuck and Don's just out of curiosity and the ingredient list looked pretty good. Initially I thought it was a little cheesy and was skeptical but it looked to be good quality, however I still ended up with Nutri Source.

Yea that is the stuff - it seemed to be a little less expensive so I am transitioning to it now. So far she seems to be doing very well with it.

Have anyone of you heard of the preservative "Ethoxyquin"? If your dog food contains "fish meal" (many do) it may very well contain this Ethoxyquin. Google for it in dog food and judge for yourself if you would feed this to your dog. I choose not to. Just lost my five year old Springer to cancer last June, so I am really looking at what I am feeding my new Springer pup. Also if you haven't heard of the web site "Dog Food Analysis", Google for that too. There is quite a bit of information there also. I am feeding my pup Innova. A 30 pound bag delivered to my front door including tax $53. Just my two cents.

Trashguy,

What kind of Innova do you feed your dog? Is it the EVO stuff? I looked at that last night and it was like $60 a bag. Also do they guarantee it is "Ethoxyquin free"? Didn't see that on the bag and it had herring meal in it. Also where do you get it delivered for $53 to the front door from? Any info would be great!

Thanks

catnipmn,

Well the name of the company that makes Innova is Natura and they make the EVO also. Innova is not grain free, as is the EVO. Plus EVO is a little more money. I wrote many companies about their use of Ethoxyqin. Natura guaranteed they did not. Many of the companies danced around the question, saying they did not add it, but in fact their fish meal supplier probably did. I don't think I can post a link as where I am getting my dog food delivered form here on this site, so you can just email me and I will give you the HSOforum link. [email protected] Larry