Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IFallsRon

Culling, anyone?

66 posts in this topic

I'm rolling through the aisles of one of the local tackle-selling stores when I come upon a handy packing package that will allow me to rank the fish I've caught in order to dispatch a non-keeper should I catch his bigger brother.

It was a sweet arrangement with clips, chains and color-coded bobbers.

How fast would I be cited if a CO wanted to take a look?

Why would you be cited? As long as you don't exceed your limit there should be no need to worry. People cull fish all the time in bass tournaments.

Yea, culling is legal as far as I know. As long as you aren't harming the fish before releasing I see no reason to be cited.

I thought it was illegal, and there are a few statements in the regs that are not totally clear to me "Once a daily or possession limit of fish has been reached, no culling or live well sorting is allowed", "It is illegal to cull fish that have been reduced to possession" To me that reads that it is illegal to cull. Or does that mean something different to someone else?

I know in Iowa once you put the fish in a livewell or stringer, bucket ect. its considered in possesion and cannot be culled. The exception is for bass tourneys they are allowed to cull but I think that rule stinks.

I always thought it was illegal to cull. I know it's been talked about in here before.

I'm almost sure culling is NOT legal even if you don't have a limit in possession. Once a fish is placed into a holding container, it is reduced to possession.

You can find a lot of products that are illegal to purchase at stores. Castnets, underwater lights, remote control boats, hook setting tip-ups can all be found at various stores. The products are not illegal, the action of using them is.

Actually, the more I think about it, you probably can cull before you reach your limit. How is that different from releasing a couple of fish in your livewell that you decided not to keep? Is that illegal too?

I'm sure the tourney guys will chime in on this one and clear it up.

I too thought you could cull before a limit was reached, which is why alot of tourneys let you weigh 5 fish but the limit is 6.

This line has me confused though,

"It is illegal to cull fish that have been reduced to possession"

To me this would mean that you can't release a fish that has been in the livewell, I guess it depends on the acctual definition the DNR uses for culling.

I reread our law we can cull but the fish that was culled still counts as part of your daily bag limit. So to cull I reduce my daily limit buy 1 fish since we have a 3 fish limit on eyes.

Once a daily or possession limit of fish has been reached, no culling or live well sorting is allowed. - 2009 regulations

To me it says that you can cull as long as you don't have a limit in your livewell (reduced to possession). In other words, once you have six walleye in your bucket you can't keep fishing to upsize your bag.

Well, that just makes even less sense. I swear, sometimes I'm dumber trying to figure out regs. They way I understand it is you can. Example, if you can catch six eyes and you have five in the box and then you catch one that is nicer than a smaller one, you can replace it keep ing you at five and can still go after a sixth. If what Esox said was true(I'm not not saying his interpretation is right or wrong) they why cull, you might have just as well kept the smaller fish.

I don't call I fish and keep what I want. It if looks too small and we are having a great day, it goes back. If it's small and we are having a bad day it goes back. If we are having a mediocare day and catch one a little shorter than I would like, it goes in the box. I try to stay between 16" AND 20" myself. Sometimes I drift a little here are there as long as it's with the law. I do very little culling though. When there are laws that are left for interpretation, why bother playing that game.

If what Esox said was true(I'm not not saying his interpretation is right or wrong) they why cull, you might have just as well kept the smaller fish.

First, he's talking about Iowa laws winkgrin

Second, I have to agree, there is no sense in culling the fish if your possession is reduced by one.

My best guess is that Lmitout's interpretation is correct.

I would also agree with Lmitout's statement.

Same here. It's not very often that we cull fish, but our interpretation is that as long as you do not have your limit, you can cull ...... and once you reach your limit you can continue to fish but you can't do any more keeping or culling.

Yea, I basically went the wrong way around to say I agree with Limit. Besides, when was the lastime I didn't agree with limit.

If you aint going to keep the fish it should never hit the livewell!!!

Not to stir the pot or anything, but..... Can you continue to fish if you've got a limit in the livewell?? I'd say no.

If you gut hook / accidently killed one (or more), are you supposed to release them?? I think once the last fish goes in, you're done. Might be wrong. If it is legal, I'm not sure how ethical it is. (Please don't bring up releasing gut hooked protected slot fish and leaving them to die- another issue). Good luck....

ps- I also think LMITOUT is correct on original question.

You should be able to fish as long as you aren't targeting the fish you have in your live well. It'll be up to you to argue that point if you are stopped by the DNR, but it's probably no different than fishing for panfish when the walleye/pike season is closed. You can't control what latches onto your hook, to a point. I can't see why you couldn't start fishing for crappies after you have a limit of walleye or pike in your live well. It'd be a heck of a day!

In my post further up I said that you cannot continue fishing once you have six in the bucket, but I should have qualified that and said you cannot continue fishing for that species. Hope I didn't cause confusion there...

Limitout IS correct.

As long as you stay below your daily limit in the boat you can continue fishing for that species and cull.

Once you keep your limit fish - you're done. Go home. Or fish for something else.

In tourneys its against the rules to cull dead/dying fish.

Immediately release or returned to the water

Fish must not be retained longer than is needed at the site of capture to unhook,

identify, measure, and photograph. Placing the fish in any type of container

or on a stringer is not immediately released. Any fish not immediately

released is considered to be “reduced to possession.”

Additions to Synopsis

• Clarification of “immediately released or returned to the water”

Because of this reg, once you have placed a fish into a container (Live well) it has been reduced to possession there for it can not be released back into the lake. so from what I read, Culling is Not leagal.

Quote:
Because of this reg, once you have placed a fish into a container (Live well) it has been reduced to possession there for it can not be released back into the lake. so from what I read, Culling is Not leagal.

That is the way I read it too.

You can continue to fish with one short of your limit in the livewell. You can't however cull those fish that you have already placed into your posession, in your livewell.

Fish that have been banging around in your livewell don't survive well when released. It may appear that they swim away at first, however post release mortality is very high on fish that have spent time in your livewell. So do the right thing

and follow the intent of the law. This is one of those ethics rules that we should all

follow, because it's the right thing to do for the fish and our fisheries.

"Ace"