• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Goal's for the new 2009 season.

b1gf1sh1

i'm interested in hearing goals set or thought about. my goal is huge, and because it's huge, so my explanation will have to be.... sorry. blush

goal: world record muskie inside the 5 county metro area. crazy you say? ok read this and tell me i don't stand a chance (other than it's not in that area, i believe it is smile ) i won't give gps co-ordinates for obvious reasons, or exact areas, or time of year, or water levels. just general info.

my plan: make a 24-30'' swimbait, whichever size i can make swim proper, in a design i've been thinking about for awhile now. fish the ten spots with it i suspect hold her in this manner....

anchor in fast current, just on the main river edge of a specific type of eddy. the lure dropped down with a downrigger ball fast to the bottom and the lure placed at a specific depth and location so it swims just inside the eddy and back into the current, in, out, in, out...and so on letting the current swim the lure. then just wait. crazy or not so crazy? ... don't forget your goals. smile

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My goals are simple, boat 20+ muskies, get 1 on a topwater, get my first 50" and land 1 in a tourney. Hard part is other than a trip to V in Aug most these will come from Iowa waters. Numbers and the 50 should be easily attainable if the fish are willing on my home waters. The V fish will just be bonus ones, it's the tourneys I struggle getting fish in the net. Topwater may have to wait till V since we don't get much if any topwater bite.

I want to get out on the water for muskies 25+ times. Its hard when you don't have your own boat. Last year I didn't get out nearly enough, buddies were busy and gas was horrible

Catch my PB (bigger than 42). Also want to score a tiger on Calhoun, and catch one on topwater. Mostly its just to keep learning and having fun!

My goal will be 10 fish in my home waters - Bemidji area lakes. I always take a week vacation to LOW on the Canadian side and usually boat multiple fish, but those will all be bonuses. I'm shooting for 2 over 50 this year - got 1 @ 51 last year & saw bigger.

Also I need to diversify my presentations and try some new lures. I have plenty in my arsenol, but always seem to throw the same 2 or 3 lures every time. It's hard to get out of the comfort zone sometimes... Also would like to boat my first on top water and first on plastic.

So not all that unrealistic of goals. Just need to put the time in.

Things i'd like to do: Catch a 50, see more sunsets and sunrises from the water.

Goals: Put all my friends on fish who haven't caught one yet, put my wife in her first too.

Beyond that, remember to relax and enjoy time on the water, maybe not get so bat-$hit crazy about things this year! :-D

I would be happy just catching and releasing a nice sized fish. I want to fish more topwater and soft plastics. Along with fishing some river time. Another goal I have is to get some of my catfishing buddies into this style of fishing more.

Goals for the year are two fold:

1) Get my son his very first muskie, he has been punching plugs with me for almost two years and he is due!

2) Put that first fifty in the net, club it like a baby fur seal and stick up on the wall!!!! eek

JUST KIDDING!!! Just catching my first fifty and watching her swim away. Not that I get sick of catching fish up between 40-48, but need that 5-0!!!!

#1 Goal: Work my a$$ off on my boat and getting her operational ASAP... before the ice comes in December of 2009...

#2 Goal: Survive the withdrawal... Cold turkey... NO or MINIMAL fishing til the boat's done...

#3 Goal: If I manage to achieve the first two goals, break my personal best, and keep the streak of at least one muskie per year alive... if its a 48" great... 50" even better... 55" God can take me home...

Thats pretty much it...

But on a serious note... I gotta agree with Porter's goal... its not worth it if its no longer fun for you... Enjoy the sport!!! Enjoy whatever you catch!!! and release it safely and unharmed...

Fish for muskies less - or more accurately, get my kids out more which means more panfishing. They're 4 and 5 so it has to be just as, if not more, important for me to make sure I put as much effort into showing them a good time on the water as it is for me to catch a 40 muskies or my first 50. I figure not only do I owe it to them, but its the best way to honor my dad's memory as we prepare for the first full season without him.

Nothing is as fun as taking little kids fishin' laugh Especially when they outfish you!

Took my sister out for bass this one day when we were both much younger, she picked up 6 fish to my 1, and that wasn't for lack of trying on my part!

Catch a 30lb carp or buffalo before opener!

My main goal is to get as much fishing time as possible out of this season despite getting married, switching jobs, relocating, and going to about 5 other weddings this year.

Catch a 50

Get the wifey out alot

Make the club trip in September

Not too much to ask, I don't think.

Use other baits and know when to use them. Fish the spot more accurate and slow. If fish new water I wld gun n run till I find ideal spot to fish slow. Try to beat my pb 42" and fish in cheesehead state few time and have fun n make good memories with friends.

Goals include:

• Learn my local waters better and understand their seasonal movements and begin to establish patterns

• fish with the wife some more and have her witness a muskie in the boat

• Like everyone else has said, relax and have fun, just roll with the punches

• Also catch some nice fish